September 17, 1968
Astoria, Queens, New York City, New York
Joseph "Joe" Bastianich (born September 17, 1968 in New York City) is an American-Italian restaurateur, winemaker, author, and television personality. He, along with partners Lidia Bastianich and Mario Batali, owns thirty restaurants worldwide, including Babbo (1 Michelin star) and Del Posto in New York, Carnevino in Las Vegas, and in 2010, expanded the LA eateries Pizzeria and Osteria Mozza to Singapore. Earlier that same year, the trio teamed up with Italian retail businessman Oscar Farinetti to bring Eataly, an artisanal food and wine market to New York, with the Chicago outpost following in 2013.
Family background and personal life
The son of Felice and Lidia Bastianich, Joseph Bastianich was born in Astoria, Queens in 1968. Raised working in his parents Italian restaurant Felidia in Manhattan, he attended Fordham Preparatory School before attending Boston College, where he studied finance. Bastianich lives in Greenwich, Connecticut, with his wife, Deanna, and their three children.
After spending a year on Wall Street, he took an extended trip to Italy. In 1993, he opened Becco (Italian for "peck, nibble, savor") an Italian restaurant with his mother, Lidia Bastianich. He then partnered with Mario Batali to open Babbo Ristorante e Enoteca, an Italian restaurant that gained the prestigious three stars from the The New York Times, the first Italian restaurant to gain the award in 40 years. Babbo also has one Michelin star. Together they opened seven more restaurants in New York: Lupa, Esca, Casa Mono, Bar Jamon, Otto, Del Posto, and Eataly (an Italian marketplace). In 2010, Del Posto received a four-star review from The New York Times. It is one of only six restaurants in New York with that award. Their culinary empire has expanded to 10 restaurants in New York, 4 restaurants in Las Vegas, 3 restaurants in Los Angeles, 2 restaurants in Singapore, 1 Italian market in Chicago, and two restaurants in Hong Kong.
He was a judge on the American MasterChef series broadcast by Fox until it took too much of his time and MasterChef Junior until the 2015 edition, where both series had been replaced by Christina Tosi (will be for MasterChef Junior in 2016). He is also a judge on the Italian version of the program. MasterChef Italia shown on Sky Uno.
Restaurants owned or operated by Batali and Bastianich Hospitality Group
- B&B Burger & Beer, Las Vegas
- B&B Ristorante, Las Vegas
- BABBO Ristorante e Enoteca, New York City
- Bar Jamon, New York City
- Becco, New York City
- Birreria, New York City
- Carnevino Italian Steakhouse, Las Vegas, Nevada / Hong Kong
- Casa Mono, New York City
- Chi Spacca, Los Angeles
- Del Posto, New York City
- Eataly NYC, New York City
- ESCA, New York City
- Felidia, New York City
- Lidia’s, Kansas City, Missouri
- Lidia's Italy, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- LUPA, New York City
- Mozza2Go, Los Angeles, California
- Orsone, Frazione Gagliano, Italy
- Osteria Mozza, Los Angeles, California / Singapore
- OTTO Enoteca Pizzeria, New York City / Las Vegas
- Pizzeria Mozza, Los Angeles, California / Newport Beach, California / Singapore / San Diego
- Tarry Market, Port Chester
- Tarry Wine, Port Chester
- Tarry Lodge, Port Chester / Westport, Connecticut
- Tarry Lodge, New Haven, Connecticut
- 2015. Healthy Pasta: The Sexy, Skinny, and Smart Way to Eat Your Favorite Food. Knopf
- 2014. Giuseppino. Da New York all'Italia: storia del mio ritorno a casa. UTET
- 2013. Restaurant Man. Plume
- 2010. Grandi Vini: An Opinionated Tour of Italy's 89 Finest Wines. Clarkson Potter
- 2005. Vino Italiano: The Regional Wines of Italy. Clarkson Potter
- MasterChef (US TV series)
- MasterChef Italia
- MasterChef Junior
- Lidia's Italy
- Restaurant Startup
- MasterChef Canada
- "Bastianich, Joseph". Current Biography Yearbook 2011. Ipswich, Massachusetts: H.W. Wilson. 2011. pp. 50–54. ISBN 9780824211219.
- Yi, Christine (2008-10-28). "Passion for Food Adjusts to Fit Passion for Running". The New York Times.
- Bruni, Frank (2004-06-09). "Arias From the Kitchen As the Dining Room Rocks". The New York Times.
- Sifton, Sam (2010-09-29). "A Modern Italian Master". The New York Times.
- "Chefs Find Winner’s Circle Familiar Turf". The New York Times. 2008-06-11.
- Hinckley, David (2010-07-26). "Sob stories, bad auditions: Gordon Ramsay's new 'MasterChef' is like 'American Idol' for foodies". New York: Daily News.
- Owen, Rob (2015-07-10). "TV Q&A: 'Ellen' moving to WTAE, 'Masterchef' and PBS self-censorship". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Galarza, Daniela (8 April 2015). "American Girl Flick Captures Timeless Drama of MasterChef Junior". Eater. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- Official website
- Bio from Batali & Bastianich Hospitality Group website
- Bio from Babbo restaurant website
- Bio from Vino Italiano book website