|Juan C. Zarate|
Juan C. Zarate
|Citizenship||United States of America|
|Alma mater||Harvard University and Harvard Law School|
|Occupation||Chairman & Co-Founder|
|Employer||Financial Integrity Network|
|Notable work||Treasury's War: The Unleashing Of A New Era Of Financial Warfare|
Juan Carlos Zarate was a Deputy Assistant to the President and Deputy National Security Advisor for Combating Terrorism during the George W. Bush administration. He currently serves as the Chairman and Co-Founder of the Financial Integrity Network, a Washington, D.C.-based consulting firm, and as Senior Adviser at the think tank Center for Strategic and International Studies, Transnational Threats Project.
Prior to joining the NSC, Zarate served as the Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Terrorist Financing and Financial Crimes where he led Treasury's domestic and international efforts to disrupt terrorist financing, built comprehensive anti-money laundering systems, and expanded the use of Treasury powers to advance national security interests. He led the U.S. government's global efforts to seize Saddam Hussein's assets, resulting in the return of over $3 billion of Iraqi assets from the U.S. and around the world.
In June 2014, he accepted an appointment to the Board that oversees the Vatican's Institute for the Works of Religion ("IOR"), a move announced by Cardinal Pell of the Vatican Finance Ministry as part of Pope Francis I's efforts to clean up the finances of the Vatican. Zarate currently sits on the advisory board for nonprofit America Abroad Media.
Zarate is a magna cum laude graduate of Harvard University and a cum laude graduate of the Harvard Law School. He studied as a Rotary International Fellow at the Universidad de Salamanca, Spain. He is a 1989 graduate of Mater Dei High School in Santa Ana, California.
Zarate is the author of two books: Forging Democracy, a book on the impact of U.S. foreign policy on democratization in Central America (ISBN 0-8191-9527-8), and Treasury's War: The Unleashing Of A New Era Of Financial Warfare, about the use of financial power to counter terrorism (ISBN 1610391152).
- "Biography from the White House". The White house. Retrieved 12 November 2015.
- Dafna Linzer (March 12, 2006). "The NSC's Sesame Street Generation". The Washington Post. Retrieved December 28, 2008.
- "Juan Zarate, Former Deputy Assistant to the President and Deputy National Security Advisor for Combating Terrorism to Join CSIS". The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS). March 31, 2009. Retrieved 12 November 2015.
- Frye, Andrew (8 July 2014). "Pope Replaces Vatican Bank Managers as Profit Drops 97%". Bloomberg.
- "Bio of Juan Zarate". America Abroad Media. Retrieved 12 November 2015.
- Journal of Interamerican Studies and World Affairs, Vol. 36, No. 4 (Winter, 1994), pp. 186–88
- "Juan Zarate: "Treasury's War: The Unleashing Of A New Era Of Financial Warfare"". The Diane Rehm Show. 16 September 2013. Retrieved 26 September 2013.