|City||Little Rock, Arkansas|
|Broadcast area||Little Rock metropolitan area|
|Slogan||Rhythm & News|
|First air date||1986|
|Callsign meaning||University of ARkansas|
|Owner||University of Arkansas at Little Rock (UALR Public Radio)|
KUAR is a National Public Radio affiliate in Little Rock, Arkansas. It broadcasts at 89.1 FM and is licensed to the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. During the day, KUAR airs NPR news and information with a strong emphasis on Arkansas news and culture. At night, the station airs jazz music.
The College radio station went on the air in 1986 as a satellite of the area's original NPR station, KLRE-FM 90.5, on the air since 1973 and owned by the Little Rock School District. At the time, KLRE only broadcast at 40,000 watts, and the addition of KUAR brought NPR programming to large portions of central Arkansas that hadn't received it before. In 1988, all NPR news and talk programming moved to KUAR during the day, while KLRE began running exclusively classical music.
UALR and the school district jointly owned the two stations until 1995, when UALR became the sole owner. KUAR began airing jazz shortly afterward at night.
The two stations have a full-time staff of nine, including General Manager Ben Fry, Program Director Nathan Vandiver, Operations Director William Wagner, Content Development Director Karen Tricot Steward, News Director Michael Hibblen, and Development Director Sarah Donaghy. It also offers UALR students the chance to get broadcasting experience by working part-time. Like all public broadcasting, KUAR relies on listener contributions for a large part of its operating budget.
Locally Produced Programs That Air on KUAR 89.1 FM
- Swingin' Down the Lane - With Host David Miller
- Arkansas Cooks - With host Mary Twedt
- Tales from the South - Hosted by Paula Morell
- That! Medical Quiz Show - Hosted by Dr. T. Glenn Pait
- "Swingin' Down The Lane w/ David Miller - Homepage - Big Band Music - Swing Music on NPR". Swingindownthelane.com. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- "KUAR Radio Schedule | KUAR". Ualrpublicradio.org. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- "Arkansas Cooks | KUAR". Ualrpublicradio.org. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- "Tales from the South | KUAR". Ualrpublicradio.org. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- "That! Medical Quiz Show". That! Medical Quiz Show. 2012-08-22. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- "That! Medical Quiz Show | KUAR". Ualrpublicradio.org. 2013-07-12. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- KUAR Official Site
- Query the FCC's FM station database for KUAR
- Radio-Locator information on KUAR
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for KUAR
- Science Café Little Rock - Hosted by Dorothy Graves