|Broadcast area||Northwest Wisconsin and Northeast Minnesota|
|Branding||Wisconsin Public Radio|
|Frequency||91.3 FM (MHz)(also on HD Radio)|
|First air date||January 31, 1966|
|Callsign meaning||University of Wisconsin-Superior|
|Owner||University of Wisconsin System|
KUWS is a public radio station in Superior, Wisconsin, licensed to the Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System and operated by the University of Wisconsin–Superior since January 31, 1966. KUWS is an affiliate of Wisconsin Public Radio's Ideas Network. It also airs university and student-produced programming. KUWS broadcasts on 91.3 FM with 83,000 watt. KUWS was previously heard on translator station W275AF in the Ashland-Washburn-Bayfield area at 102.5 FM before September 12, 2011, when full-power WUWS (90.9) was launched from Ashland, replacing W275AF, although WUWS continues to relay KUWS's schedule and is programmed from WPR's Superior studios.
The original station call letters were WSSU, representing Wisconsin Superior State University. The call letters KUWS were assigned on August 1, 1988, as part of the station's affiliation with Wisconsin Public Radio. KUWS was permitted a "K" prefix, despite its location east of the Mississippi, due to Duluth-Superior's status as a "mixed" market, with KRBR and KBJR-TV already licensed to Superior.
The KUWS studios are in the Holden Fine Arts Center at 1805 Catlin Avenue in Superior. The studios also provide local programming for Wisconsin Public Radio's NPR News and Classical Music network station for northwest Wisconsin, WHSA in Brule. The KUWS transmitting facility is co-located with KBJR-TV in the Duluth tower farm.
|City of license||ERP
- Broadcasting Yearbook (1967), p. B-184. Broadcasting Publications Inc., Washington, DC.
- http://hdradio.com/station_guides/widget.php?id=8 HD Radio Guide for Duluth-Superior
- KUWS official website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for KUWS
- Radio-Locator information on KUWS
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for KUWS
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WUWS
- Radio-Locator information on WUWS
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WUWS