Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences
|Students||600 undergraduate students
103 postgraduate students
100 nursing students
100 paramedical students
|Location||Hubli, Karnataka, India|
Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences, Hubli (KIMS, Hubli) is a medical school in Hubli, India is affiliated with Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore, Karnataka . It is one of the oldest government tertiary healthcare centre and largest multi-speciality Hospital in North Karnataka recognized by Medical Council of India. In June 1997, the then Karnataka Medical College was accorded the Autonomous status and so was born, the present Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences, Hubli.
Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences, Hubli, (KIMS, Hubli) formerly known as Karnataka Medical College, Hubli was established in August 1957. For the first few years, the college was located in a building which was later known as J.G. Commerce College. The campus subsequently was shifted to the present location comprising 100 acres (0.40 km2) of land, on the Pune – Bangalore National Highway near Vidyanagar, Hubli.
KIMS Hubli serves the society at large by providing tertiary health care services to the needy and by developing resources of health care providers and researchers.
The decade 1980-1990 changed the institute from being a nondescript hospital treating cancer patients to a well-known comprehensive regional center for cancer treatment and research. At that time, it was capable of offering state-of-the-art diagnostic and therapeutic services to cancer patients from Karnataka to neighboring states like Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, and Maharashtra. The institute was the first medical college in India to start a full-fledged post-graduate course in paediatrics.
For a brief period, due to lack of political will and poor funding, there was a progressive decline in staff, facilities, and services offered. The government of Karnataka organized a Governing Council and in June 1997, the then Karnataka Medical College was accorded autonomous status, and became the Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences, Hubli. The current objectives are for providing comprehensive undergraduate and postgraduate, medical and paramedical education and for developing the facilities for research, training, screening, diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation, palliative, and preventive care for the society at large. It now has a sufficiently well trained staff strength.
There has been steady progress in the facilities and the health care services that are at the institute. The institution is equipped to provide some of the speciality services like Cardiology, Nephrology, Endocrinology, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Urology, Plastic surgery and Paediatric surgery. The Anti-Retroviral Treatment Center at KIMS Hubli has been recognized and is being developed as the nodal center for North Karnataka as well as surrounding region. The Government of Karnataka has provided a cardiac catheterization lab to the Institute and has pledged to renew it as the Regional Cardiology Center. The institute has also been accorded the status of Institute of Excellence and recognized as a Training Center for the WHO Fellowship. The addition of new blocks, Trauma Care Center and Maternal & Child Health Center, is expected to increase the popularity of the hospital in the region. Phototherapy, dermabrasion and radiofrequency have been newly added to the Department of Dermatology.
- Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences Hospital
- Dharwad Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (DIMHANS), Dharwad
- Anti Retroviral Therapy Center, KIMS Campus
- District Tuberculosis Center, KIMS Campus
- Urban Leprosy Center, KIMS Campus
- Urban Health Training Center, Old Hubli
- Rural Health Training Center, Kundgol
- Primary Health Care Center, Kalaghatgi
- Hubli Hospital for Handicapped, Anandnagar
- KIMS LifeLine Blood Bank, KIMS Campus
- Jaipur Center for Prosthetics, KIMS Campus
- Railway Hospital, Hubli
- Dr. R B Patil, Padmashri Awardee and Surgical Oncologist at R B Patil Hospital, Hubli
- Dr. M. M. Joshi was a postgraduate teacher at KIMS Hubli, for 6 years.
- (Late) Dr Sondur Sriniwasachar Professor of Bio-chemistry,Dept.of Physiology at Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences(formerly known as Karnataka Medical College),Hubli (1958–64; 1967–76).
- Dr. S. B. Kulkarni was the HOD (Head of Department) for Physiology and also was the Principal at KIMS.
- Dr. Rashid Ali Siddiqui was a student of KIMS. He is currently the Medical Director of Prayag Medicare and working at NRHM Uttar Pradesh East (Allahabad zone)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences.|