|Region||Eastern Region of Uganda|
|Elevation||1,100 m (3,600 ft)|
|Population (2011 Estimate)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Katakwi is approximately 56 kilometres (35 mi), by road, northeast of Soroti, the largest town in the Teso sub-region. This is approximately 120 kilometres (75 mi), by road, northwest of Mbale, the largest city in the Eastern Region. Katakwi is approximately 293 kilometres (182 mi), by road, northeast of Kampala, the capital of Uganda and its largest city. The coordinates of the town are 1°54'54.0"N, 33°57'18.0"E (Latitude:1.9150; Longitude:33.9550).
The 2002 national census estimated the town's population at 5,900. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) estimated the population at 8,100. In 2011, UBOS estimated the population at 8,400 people.
Points of interest
The following additional points of interest lie within the town limits or close to the edges of town:
- offices of Katakwi Town Council
- Katakwi central market
- Katakwi General Hospital, a public hospital administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health
- Ochorimongin weekly market
- "Road Distance Between Soroti And Katakwi With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- "Map Showing Mbale And Katakwi With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- "Distance Between Kampala And Katakwi With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- Google (13 July 2015). "Location of Katakwi At Google Maps" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- UBOS, . "Estimated Population of Katakwi In 2002, 2010 And 2011" (PDF). Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 1 June 2014.