|Member of the Michigan House of Representatives
from the 62nd district
January 1, 2009 – December 31, 2014
|Preceded by||Mike Nofs|
|Succeeded by||John Bizon|
|Born||February 16, 1975|
Kate Segal is serving her third term as State Representative for the 62nd House District (in the U.S. state of Michigan), which covers much of Calhoun County and includes the cities of Battle Creek, Springfield and Albion, and seven townships: Albion, Bedford, Clarence, Convis, Lee, Pennfield, and Sheridan.
For the 2013-2014 session, Segal was selected to serve as the Democratic vice chair of the House Insurance Committee and will also serve on the House committees on Health Policy and Michigan Competitiveness. Segal was previously the House Democratic Floor Leader for the 2011-2012 legislative session.
As State Representative, Segal has stated that some of her priorities will be to focus on making health care more affordable and accessible to all Michigan residents, creating an environment that is inviting to the businesses that will create good-paying jobs for the workers of Calhoun County, and improving schools to provide Michigan students with a quality education from an early age.
Prior to being elected to the Michigan House of Representatives, Segal served on the Calhoun County Board of Commissioners from 2002 to 2008, serving as chairwoman in her final term. Segal is deeply involved in the community and has volunteered with a number of groups such as the United Way, the Urban League of Battle Creek, the Comprehensive Senior Care Corporation, the Junior League of Battle Creek and the Region IIIB Area Agency on Aging Advisory Council. She was also a founding member and past chair of the Calhoun County Health Plan, which is now called Community HealthCare Connections.
Segal is a graduate of Kalamazoo College, where she received a bachelor's degree in sociology, with a concentration in public policy and urban affairs. She lives in Battle Creek with her husband, Mike, and their daughter, Elise.
2013-2014 Legislative Session 
Insurance - Democratic Vice Chair
2011-2012 Legislative Session
House Fiscal Agency Governing Board
2009-2010 Legislative Session
Health Policy - Vice Chair
New Economy and Quality of Life
Public Employees Health Care Reform
Duncan Aviation and the Michigan Youth ChalleNGe Academy
On May 21, 2009 the Michigan House of Representatives passed House Bill 4930, a bill sponsored by Segal, which modified Michigan's tax code to create a tax exemption for Duncan Aviation, a Battle Creek company specializing in the interior customization of new aircraft. Without the modification, Duncan Aviation would have transferred more than one hundred jobs from Battle Creek to its sister facility in Nebraska. By working closely with Republican Senator Jason Allen, the legislation was signed by Governor Jennifer Granholm on June 23, 2009 and became Public Act 53 of 2009. Public Act 53 of 2009 was Segal's first bill to be passed into law.
During the 2009 Michigan budget negotiations, Segal made the Michigan Youth ChalleNGe Academy (MYCA) one of her top priorities for future funding. The MYCA is a voluntary, quasi-military program run by the National Guard. The program is designed for at-risk youth who have either dropped out of high school or are at risk of dropping out. Segal advocated for full funding of the program throughout the budget process, but applauded the efforts of the bi-partisan School Aid conference committee for providing partial funding, $642,300, in its compromise budget. In an effort to save the MYCA, Segal launched an online petition, hosted a rally at the Capitol, and lobbied her fellow legislators for support.
On November 25, 2009, the Michigan Youth ChalleNGe Academy announced that it would remain operational through at least 2010.
- 2012 General Election for State Representative - Michigan's 62nd District
|Kate Segal (D-Battle Creek)||21,119||57.6%|
|Mark Behnke (R-Battle Creek)||15,526||42.4%|
- 2010 General Election for State Representative - Michigan's 62nd District
|Kate Segal (D-Battle Creek)||14,188||55%|
|Steven Mobley (R-Athens)||11,719||45%|
- 2008 General Election for State Representative - Michigan's 62nd District
|Kate Segal (D-Battle Creek)||25,011||62%|
|Greg Moore (R-Athens)||15,419||38%|
- 2008 Primary Election for State Representative - Michigan's 62nd District
|Kate Segal (D)||3,553||68%|
|Tim Nendorf (D)||1,667||32%|
- Segal to Serve as Democratic Vice Chair of House Insurance Committee | State Representative Kate Segal
- Segal Chosen by Peers as Democratic Floor Leader | State Representative Kate Segal
- Segal Cites Economy, Jobs as Top Priorities in New Legislature's Opening Session | State Representative Kate Segal
- Segal Named to House Agriculture, Health Policy Committees | State Representative Kate Segal
- Gongwer News Service - Michigan
- Segal Named Vice Chair of House Health Policy Committee | State Representative Kate Segal
- House Passes Segal's Bill to Protect Michigan Aviation Jobs | State Representative Kate Segal
- Segal Helps Restore Funds for ChalleNGe Academy | State Representative Kate Segal
- Segal, Supporters Call on Lawmakers to Save MYCA | State Representative Kate Segal
- Segal: Hard Work Pays Off, Youth Academy Will Stay Open! | State Representative Kate Segal