Kevin Locke (rugby league)
|Full name||Kevin Samuel Locke|
4 April 1989 |
Auckland, New Zealand
|Height||175 cm (5 ft 9 in)|
|Weight||87 kg (13 st 10 lb)|
|As of 12 September 2015
Kevin Samuel Locke (born 4 April 1989) is a New Zealand professional rugby league footballer who is currently contracted to the Sunshine Coast Falcons in the Queensland Cup. He previously played for the New Zealand Warriors in the National Rugby League and for the Salford Red Devils and Wakefield Trinity Wildcats in the Super League. He primarily plays as a fullback and winger.
A Northcote Tigers junior who attended Northcote college, Locke first gained attention when he played for the Auckland Lions in the NSWRL Premier League in 2007. In 2008 he was signed by the New Zealand Warriors and played in the Toyota Cup, finishing the season as the competition's second highest points scorer.
On 31 May 2009 Locke made his first grade debut in Round 12 against the Wests Tigers. He scored two tries and kicked one goal on debut as the Warriors won 14-0. The Warriors failed to make the finals of the 2009 NRL Premiership, but Locke finished the season as the club's top point-scorer. He finished his Toyota Cup career at the end of 2009, having made thirty appearances, scoring eighteen tries and ninety nine goals.
On 27 June 2010, Locke grabbed his first hat-trick in first grade, bagging three tries as the Warriors defeated the Sydney Roosters 20-18 at AMI Stadium in Christchurch. In scoring his third and final try, Locke injured his hip when colliding with the goalpost, but it was later disclosed that the injury was not as serious as was first feared.
Locke remained at the club for 2012 after the Warriors exercised an option on his contract. He then signed a contract with the club until the end of the 2014 season. However, Locke's position with the warriors was put under threat by the signing of English fullback Sam Tomkins from Wigan.
In May 2014, Salford Red Devils RLFC of the Super League announced Locke had signed a 3-year deal to play for them, beginning in October 2014 ahead of the 2015 season, having rejected offers from Union clubs Edinburgh Rugby and Glasgow Warriors.
The Red Devils then negotiated his early release from the Warriors, where in 2014 he had languished in the Warriors NSW Cup side with Tomkins preferred in the top grade and he arrived to make his debut for the English club during the 2014 season at Huddersfield. Locke scored a try and kicked six goals in a 10-36 win.
In June 2016 Locke signed a deal with Shute Shield Rugby side Southern Districts, he only ever played in the lower grades of the club. In November 2016, Locke signed a contract to join Manly Sea Eagles. He was released during the pre-season and signed with the Sunshine Coast Falcons in the Queensland Cup.
In 2006 Locke made the Junior Kiwis side.
On Sunday, 16 October 2011, Locke made his debut for the Kiwis against the Kangaroos at Hunter Stadium (formerly Ausgrid Stadium), playing in the fullback position. He had a strong game and scored a try, however the Kiwis went down heavily to Australia, with a final scoreline 42-6.
Locke played fullback for New Zealand in the 2013 Rugby League World Cup Final at the famous Old Trafford ground in Manchester, England, though Australia won the game 34-2 to regain the World Cup they had lost to the Kiwis in 2008. Due to the presence of Sam Tomkins at the Warriors in 2014, Locke languished in the Warriors NSW Cup side and as a consequence lost his place in the NZ test team to well performed Manly Sea Eagles utility back Peta Hiku for the 2014 Anzac Test at the Sydney Football Stadium.
When he was 23, Locke was sentenced in the Auckland District Court to 80 hours community work and fined $1400 for driving while disqualified on 12 May 2012, but avoided a further driving ban; his club also fined him $5000. Locke has been suspended for driving twice as a result of demerit points and has been caught speeding on seven occasions.
- "Kevin Locke Wakefield Wildcats". www.superleague.co.uk. Rugby Football League. 2015. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- Kevin Locke rugbyleagueproject.org
- Locke and Heremaia to make NRL debuts Warriors.co.nz, 26 May 2009
- Kevin Locke nzleague.co.nz
- "Locke steals win for New Zealand Warriors". Stuff.co.nz. NZPA. 27 June 2010. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- "Warrior Kevin Locke cleared of major damage". Stuff.co.nz. NZPA. 28 June 2010. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- Lawton, Aaron (15 May 2011). "Warriors high-flyer Kevin Locke's new deal". Sunday News. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- Lawton, Aaron (19 June 2011). "Kevin Locke onboard with Warriors till 2015". The Sunday Star-Times. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- "Salford Red Devils confirm signing of full-back Kevin Locke from New Zealand Warriors". Sky Sports. 29 May 2014. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- "Salford secure Locke coup". 2 May 2014. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- "Locke rejected rugby union to join Salford". Love Rugby League. 10 July 2014. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- "'Glasgow and Edinburgh wanted to sign me' says Kevin Locke". 10 July 2014. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- "League: Maori draw with England". The New Zealand Herald. 16 October 2010. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- Maas, Amy (6 Dec 2012). "Kevin Locke handed a life-line by courts". Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- "Kevin Locke shows off his new wedding band tattoo". .tvnz.co.nz. Retrieved 1 February 2016.