Habibullo Ismailovich Abdussamatov
|Хабибулло Исмаилович Абдусаматов|
|Alma mater||Samarkand State University|
Leningrad State University
|Known for||Physics of the Sun|
Global warming denial
Habibullo Ismailovich Abdussamatov (Russian: Хабибулло Исмаилович Абдусаматов; occasionally spelled, Abdusamatov; with initials transliterated either H.I. or K.I; born October 27, 1940 in Samarkand, Uzbek SSR, Soviet Union) is a Russian astrophysicist of Uzbek descent. He is the supervisor of the Astrometria project of the Russian section of the International Space Station and the head of Space research laboratory at the Saint Petersburg-based Pulkovo Observatory of the Russian Academy of Sciences. He believes that global warming is primarily caused by natural processes.
Abdussamatov has worked at the Pulkovo Observatory since 1964, as a researcher trainee, postgraduate, junior researcher, senior researcher, leading researcher, and then head of the Space Research Laboratory. He became head of the Space Research Sector of the Pulkovo Observatory and head of the Selenometria project on the Russian segment of the International Space Station.
Climate views and predictions
Abdussamatov presented papers at the fourth and ninth International Conference on Climate Change, events sponsored by the Heartland Institute and, according to the organiser, bringing together "think tank cosponsors and [...] scientists who dispute the claim that the science is settled". Abdussamatov claims that "global warming results not from the emission of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, but from an unusually high level of solar radiation and a lengthy—almost throughout the last century—growth in its intensity." This view contradicts the scientific consensus on climate change. He has asserted that "parallel global warmings—observed simultaneously on Mars and on Earth—can only be a straightline consequence of the effect of the one same factor: a long-time change in solar irradiance." This claim has not been accepted by the broader scientific community. Some other scientists have stated that "the idea just isn't supported by the theory or by the observations" and that it "doesn't make physical sense."
Abdussamatov holds that Earth's atmosphere does not produce a greenhouse effect, stating "Ascribing 'greenhouse' effect properties to the Earth's atmosphere is not scientifically substantiated." He further states that "Heated greenhouse gases, which become lighter as a result of expansion, ascend to the atmosphere only to give the absorbed heat away."
21st Century Mini-Ice Age
In early 2012, Abdussamatov predicted the onset of a new "mini-ice age" commencing 2014 and becoming most severe around 2055. His prediction gained traction in the press after the harsh 2013/2014 winter, despite the fact that winter was only harsh in eastern North America. In 2012 Abdussamatov quantified declining trend Total Solar Irradiance (TSI) and predicts further bicentennial based declining TSI.
- Abdussamatov, H. I. (2004). "Space solar limbograph". In Corbett, Ian F. (ed.). Multi-Wavelength Investigations of Solar Activity. Proceedings of the International Astronomical Union. Vol. 2004. Cambridge University Press. pp. 605–606. doi:10.1017/S1743921304006969. S2CID 177411496.
- Abdussamatov, H. I. (2006). "Space-based solar limbograph". Journal of Optical Technology. 73 (4): 242–244. Bibcode:2006JOptT..73..242A. doi:10.1364/JOT.73.000242.
- Abdussamatov, Habibullo I. (February 2012). "Bicentennial Decrease of the Total Solar Irradiance Leads to Unbalanced Thermal Budget of the Earth and the Little Ice Age". Applied Physics Research. 4 (1): 178–184. doi:10.5539/apr.v4n1p178. ISSN 1916-9639.
- ^ "Measure temporary variations of shape and diameter of the Sun, as well as fine structure and dynamics of the granulation on the Service module of the Russian segment of the International Space Station". Pulkovo Observatory of Russian Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- ^ Pulkovo Observatory
- ^ photo
- ^ "Russian academic says CO2 not to blame for global warming". Russian International News Agency. 15 January 2007. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
Global warming results not from the emission of greenhouse gases [...], but from an unusually high level of solar radiation and [...] growth in its intensity.
- ^ "HABIBULLO ABDUSSAMATOV". International Conference on Climate Change The Heartland Institute.
- ^ Habibullo Abdussamatov, ICCC Speakers
- ^ "Media Advisory: Heartland Institute to Host 6th International Conference on Climate Change in Washington". Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- ^ "Russian academic says CO2 not to blame for global warming | Russia | RIA Novosti". En.rian.ru. 2007-01-15. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- ^ "Research | Research news | 2004 | How Strongly Does the Sun Influence the Global Climate?". Mpg.de. 2004-08-02. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- ^ Sun's Activity Increased in Past Century, Study Confirms
- ^ Lockwood, M.; Fröhlich, C. (2008). "Recent oppositely directed trends in solar climate forcings and the global mean surface air temperature. II. Different reconstructions of the total solar irradiance variation and dependence on response time scale". Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences. 464 (2094): 1367. Bibcode:2008RSPSA.464.1367L. doi:10.1098/rspa.2007.0347. S2CID 131159896.
- ^ "Look to Mars for the truth on global warming". National Post. Archived from the original on 2007-03-06. Retrieved 2007-03-02.
- ^ Ker Than (12 March 2007). "Sun Blamed for Warming of Earth and Other Worlds". Live Science. Retrieved 2007-09-06.
- ^ Kate Ravilious. "Mars Melt Hints at Solar, Not Human, Cause for Warming, Scientist Says". National Geographic Society. Archived from the original on 2018-08-11. Retrieved 2018-08-25.
- ^ a b "Look to Mars for the truth on global warming". Canada.com. 2007-02-02. Archived from the original on 2007-03-06. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- ^ "New Ice Age to Begin in 2014". Russia InfoCentre. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- ^ "Think the past winter was bad? Get ready for mini Ice Age". Winnipeg Free Press. 2014-04-11. Retrieved 2014-06-12.
- ^ Abdussamatov, Habibullo I. (February 2012). "Bicentennial Decrease of the Total Solar Irradiance Leads to Unbalanced Thermal Budget of the Earth and the Little Ice Age". Applied Physics Research. 4 (1): 178–184. doi:10.5539/apr.v4n1p178. ISSN 1916-9639.
- in English
- Feb. 2006 UPI wire story covering his prediction of a 'mini-ice age' in the mid-21st century.
- Feb. 2007 article about Abdusamatov "Look to Mars for the truth on global warming", The Deniers (Part IX) by Lawrence Solomon.