Kim Bok Man
|Born||3 December 1934|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Bok(-)man|
Kim Bok-man (Korean: 김복만; Hanja: 金福萬, born December 3, 1934 in Korea), 11th dan, is an early pioneer of taekwondo in the 1950s and 1960s in South East Asia, particularly Vietnam, Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong. He started martial arts training in the Korean art of taekyun in 1941 at the age of 7. While he was a master sergeant in the Korean army, he was called to Malaysia by General Choi Hong-hi Korea's ambassador, to teach taekwondo to members of the government party in Malaysia and subsequently to develop taekwondo, particularly some of the forms created by General Choi, and another martial art called Chun Kuhn taekwondo.
Ch'ang Hon Patterns
Kim Bok-man and Woo Jae-lim helped General Choi develop 15 tuls, or patterns, between 1962 and 1964 while Gen. Choi served as the Korean Ambassador to Malaysia. In no particular order, these tuls are: Chon-Ji, Dan-Gun, Do-San, Won-Hyo, Yul-Gok, Joong-Gun, Toi-Gye, Kwang-Gae, Po-Eun, Choon-Jang, Ko-Dang, Yoo-Sin, Choi-Yong, Se-Jong, and Tong-Il. In addition, Kim Bok-man has said that he additionally had some but considerably less input on five additional tuls – Hwa-Rang, Eui-Am, Se-Jong, Chung-Mu and Gye-Baek – bringing the total to 20. The only Ch'ang Hon patterns that Kim did not have any input or influence are Juche, Sam-Il, Yeon-Gae, Eul-Ji, Mun-Mu and Seo-San.
Kim Bok-man is the author of several books on martial arts.
Practical Taekwon-Do: Weapon Techniques. 1979: Sunlight Publishing.
Taekwondo: Defense Against Weapons. 2012: YMAA Publication Center. ISBN 978-1594392276. Selected as a Best Books Award finalist by USA Book News in 2012. This book reprints Practical Taekwon-Do: Weapon Techniques from 1979 with small changes in layout.
Taekwon-Do: Origins of the Art: Bok-man Kim's Historic Photospective (1955-2015). 2015: Moosul Publishing, LLC. ISBN 0996264000. Selected as a Best Book Award finalist by USA Book News in June 2015, a finalist in the International Book Awards in May 2016, and a winner in the 2016 Beverly Hills International Book Awards
- 마大統領 比軍서 跆拳道도입 [President Marcos introduced Taekwondo into the Philippine Armed Forces] (in Korean). Kyunghyang Shinmun. 1970-08-17. p. 6.
- Choi, Hong-hi (2000). Taekwon-Do and I (Volume 2). ITF. p. 35. ISBN 1897307551.
- "Who is Kim Bok-man". World Chun Kuhn Taekwondo Federation. Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- Anslow, Stuart (2013). From Creation to Unification: The Complete Histories Behind the Ch'ang Hon (ITF) Patterns. Republic of Ireland: Check Point Press. ISBN 978-1-906628-55-0.
- Anslow, Stuart (2013). From Creation to Unification: The Histories Behind the Ch'ang Hon Patterns. Republic of Ireland: Check Point Press. ISBN 978-1-906628-55-0.
- Unpublished interview with Mike Swope, November 21, 2014
- "2012 Best Book Awards". USA Book News. Archived from the original on 21 September 2013. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- "Congratulations to all of the Winners & Finalists of the 2015 USA Best Book Awards". USA Book News. Archived from the original on 16 January 2016. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- "4th Annual Beverly Hills Book Awards Winners & Finalists". Beverly Hills Book Awards. Retrieved 8 April 2016.
- "2016 International Book Awards Sponsored by Bookvana - Complete Listing". Archived from the original on 12 August 2016. Retrieved 3 August 2016.