|Height||198 cm (6 ft 6 in)|
Kirill Igorevich Sarychev (Russian: Кирилл Игоревич Сарычев; born 1 January 1989) is a Russian powerlifter. He previously held the world record in the raw bench press with a lift of 335 kg (738.5 lb). In 2016, he set a world record raw three-lift powerlifting total of 1,082.5 kg (2,386.5 lb).
Sarychev graduated with honours from School No. 1, Pugachev, Saratov Oblast, and then from the Pugachyov Hydrological Land Improvement Technical College in 2007. In 2012 he earned a degree from the Saratov State Vavilov Agrarian University. As of 2015[update], he is a police officer of the Ministry of Internal Affairs General Administration for the city of Moscow.
Sarychev first became interested in powerlifting at the age of 15. At the time he weighed 72 kg (158.7 lb), benched 90 kg (198.4 lb), squatted 90 kg (198.4 lb), and deadlifted 110 kg (242.5 lb). He soon found a coach, Victor Mikheyev, and made rapid progress. He began preparing for competitions in the International Powerlifting Federation (IPF). He preferred to lift without equipment (raw) but was unable to keep up with other powerlifters who competed in the IPF if he did not use equipment.
In 2009, while at the World Powerlifting Congress World Championships in Rostov-on-Don, Sarychev met Andrey Fedoseyev, who invited him to compete at the 2010 Battle of Champions, to be held in Arkhangelsk. The event featured two raw divisions – bench press and deadlift. Sarychev participated in both. Deadlift placement was determined by the Glossbrenner formula; Sarychev placed 5th, pulling 320 kg (705.5 lb). In the bench press, he placed 1st, pressing 300 kg (661.4 lb). After this event, Sarychev began training under Boris Sheiko. Sarychev competed at the Battle of Champions again in 2011, winning silver, and for a third time in 2012, winning gold.
At the 2014 Battle of Champions competition, Sarychev bench pressed 326 kg (718.7 lb), passing the 324.5 kg (715.4 lb) mark of Scot Mendelson set in 2005. Sarychev was, at this time, second only to Eric Spoto, whose 2013 record stood at 327.5 kg (722.0 lb).
In 2015, at the SN PRO Cup of Bench Press and Deadlift, Sarychev benched 330 kg (727.5 lb) in his second attempt, exceeding the previous world record by 2.5 kg (6 lb). In his third attempt, Sarychev raised it even further, pressing 335 kg (738.5 lb).
In 2016, he set a world record in raw three-lift powerlifting with a total of 1,082.5 kg (2,386.5 lb). He benched 320 kg (705.5 lb), squatted 360 kg (793.7 lb), and deadlifted 402.5 kg (887.4 lb).
Mark Bell speculated in 2017 that Sarychev is capable of reaching a 363 kg (800 lb) raw bench press, stating: "We can get the bench to 800 pounds if someone like Kirill Sarychev, who I think has the body frame for it, by which I mean the height and the bone density, is willing to gain the weight he needs to gain, by whatever means necessary."
Creation of World Raw Powerlifting Federation
- Staff writer(s) (14 September 2017). "Кирилл Сарычев" [Kirill Sarychev] (in Russian). ЖимЛежа.
- Doly, Jake (21 November 2016). "Kirill Sarychev Lifts World Record Raw Powerlifting Total At 2,386.5 lbs". BarBend.
- Staff writer(s) (2 July 2015). "A Police officer of the Russian MIA has set a record of the World Police and Fire Games in absolute weight category of 125 + kg". Press-Center of the MIA of Russia.
- Staff writer(s) (2 July 2017). "Kirill Sarychev – Einer der Weltbesten im Bankdrücken!". Gannikus (in German).
- Bateman, Oliver Lee (26 March 2017). "Strength Records Continue to Fall, But How Much Stronger Can Humans Get?". Vice.
- Подколзина, Надежда (31 October 2017). "Кирилл Сарычев: 2017 год богат на рекорды". Советский спорт (in Russian).