Kryptos at Harley Rock Riders in Bangalore, India (2012)
|Genres||Heavy metal, thrash metal|
|Years active||1998 – present|
|Website||Kryptos Official Page|
|Past members||Ching Len
Akshay 'Axe' Patel
Kryptos is a heavy metal band from Bangalore, India, formed in 1998 by Nolan Lewis (vocals/guitars) and Ganesh K. (bassist). They have long been considered to be one of the true spearheads of the Indian metal revolution upholding the old school metal ethos laid down by the 80's NWOBHM/Thrash movements. Since their inception, the band has released four albums. Spiral Ascent in 2004, The Ark of Gemini in 2008 through Old School Metal Records, California, The Coils of Apollyon in 2013 and Burn Up The Night, the last two through AFM Records, Germany.
- 1 History
- 2 Band members
- 3 Discography
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Early years (1998-2003)
Kryptos was formed in late 1998, Essentially a classic heavy metal band, they focus on fusing NWOBHM styling with elements of 1980's thrash metal. Their primary influences include Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden along with secondary influences such as Coroner, Kreator, Mercyful Fate, and Candlemass.
Debut Album (2004)
The first album Spiral Ascent was released in 2004, which quickly spread through the underground circuit in India as well as countries like Germany, Argentina and other parts of Europe. The album has long been out of print and is today considered a landmark release in Indian metal history. Dark Tranquillity's Niklas Sundin designed the album sleeve.
Signing with Old School Metal Records and second studio album (2006-2009)
In April 2006, Kryptos signed with Old School Metal Records from California, U.S.A, and became one of the first metal bands from India to sign with an international metal label. November 2006 marked the departure of long-time vocalist/bassist Ganesh K. and guitarist Akshay 'Axe' Patel. This caused various changes in Kryptos' line-up. Nolan Lewis took up lead vocal duties in conjunction to being a guitarist. Rohit Chaturvedi and Jayawant Tewari were hired to fill the incumbent guitarist and bassist positions, respectively. The band entered the studios later that year to record the follow up to their debut album, and emerged in mid-2008 with their second album, The Ark Of Gemini.
The album received excellent reviews from different parts of the world and also enjoyed a fair amount of airplay on U.S and European metal radio stations.
Supporting Iron Maiden (2009)
2010 and present
In July 2010 Kryptos became the first Indian metal band to complete a cross-country tour of Europe, playing at the Rockmaraton festival in Hungary, the In Flammen Open Air festival in Germany as well as many more club gigs throughout Germany and Switzerland.
Invasion Europa 2010
|6 July||Rock Maraton Festival||Pecs, Hungary|
|10 July||Inflammen Open Air||Torgau, Germany|
|14 July||Chemiefabrik||Dresden, Germany|
|16 July||Pitch Black||Niederkruchten, Germany|
|23 July||Rocktown||Pfäffikon, Switzerland|
Kryptos also landed endorsement deals with Mapex Drums and ESP Guitars
The Coils of Apollyon
Recent Events (2012 - Present)
The band kick-started the year 2012 by supporting folk/melodic death metal band Suidakra and German thrash metal pioneers Kreator at the inaugural edition of the Bangalore Open Air in June 2012. November of the same year saw them support Swedish Power Metal band Wolf at the third edition of the Harley Rock Riders festival.
The band opened for legendary Bay-Area Thrash Metal band Testament, whom they happen to consider an important musical influence at the NH7 Festival in Bangalore.
In 2013, Kryptos again toured Europe playing at festivals like In Flammen Open Air, Ragnarock Open Air and most notably Wacken Open Air, becoming the first Indian band ever to play at Wacken Open Air.
In 2014, the band started the year with an appearance at Inferno Metal Festival in Norway . The band again played the 3rd Edition of Bangalore Open Air opening for Destruction (band) and Rotting Christ. In September 2014 the band announced their Europe tour Apollyon Rising. The tour started with the show at Hamburg Metal Dayz followed by 17 tour dates in countries like Germany, Belgium, Italy, Austria, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Switzerland. The 17 days tour was part of the Wacken Road Show.
- Nolan Lewis - Vocals (2005–present), Rhythm guitar (1998-present)
- Rohit Chaturvedi - Lead guitar (2006–present)
- Ganesh Krishnaswamy - Vocals (1998-2005), Bass (1998-2005,2013–present)
- Anthony Hoover - Drums (2013–2018)
- Akshay ‘Axe’ Patel - Lead Guitars (2001-2006)
- Jayawant Tewari - Bass guitar (2005-2013)
- Ching Len - Drums (1998-2000)
- Ryan Colaco - Drums (2000-2013)
- Spiral Ascent (2004)
- The Ark of Gemini (2008)
- The Coils of Apollyon (2012)
- Burn Up The Night (2016)
- Indian rock
- Pin Drop Violence
- Demonic Resurrection
- Nicotine (Metal Band)
- Inner Sanctum (band)
- Scribe (band)
- Bhayanak Maut
- Kryptos in metallyrica.com http://www.metallyrica.com/k/kryptos.html
- Biography of Heavy metal band Kryptos "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 19 March 2011. Retrieved 5 April 2011.
- Kryptos, Band information, Encyclopaedia Metallum http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=11936
- Kryptos interview in metal-rules.com http://www.metal-rules.com/zine/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=1304/metal-rules.com%20Kryptos
- Nolan lewis, Interview with Metalzone.gr http://www.metalzone.gr/interviews.php?action=details&id=104&lang=en/metalzone.gr
- Kryptos in Spirit of Metal http://www.spirit-of-metal.com/biographie-groupe-Kryptos-id_bio-6879-l-en.html
- Break on thru’ , The Hindu, 8 Jul 2008 http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/mp/2008/07/08/stories/2008070850470100.htm
- Telling Kryptic Tales, The Hindu, Friday, 3 September 2010 http://www.hindu.com/mp/2010/09/03/stories/2010090351120800.htm
- Kryptos announce ‘The Coils Of Apollyon’ release date