This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Birth name||Larry Sanders|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, United States|
Larry Sanders, better known by his stage name L.V. (which stands for "Large Variety"), is an American R&B singer. He is best known for his collaboration with rapper Coolio on the single, "Gangsta's Paradise", and has been featured on multiple soundtracks since then. Having released two solo albums to date, he was also a member of the gangsta rap group South Central Cartel since their beginning, usually singing the vocals and chorus.
L.V. grew up with a father who sang gospel music along with the radio every morning, and this helped hook him on singing. He won a high school talent contest by performing L.T.D.'s "Concentrate on You", joined the Los Angeles Trade–Technical College choir. He later joined the Los Angeles Southwest College music department where he studied voice, choir and performed in several stage musicals. He also contributed R&B vocals to a neighborhood rap group, the South Central Cartel.
Following his success with "Gangsta's Paradise", L.V. landed a contract with Tommy Boy Records, which released his debut album I Am L.V. in 1996. This album spawned the hit single, "Throw Your Hands Up" which featured Treach of Naughty by Nature (produced by Maurice 'DJ Moe' Thompson and Jay 'Supreme' Williams for Barr 9 Productions). The single went on to sell over 400,000 units. The album also features a version of "Gangsta's Paradise" without rap lyrics.
In August 2012, L.V. released his fourth solo album Still L.V. in Japan.
|Title||Release||Peak chart positions|
|I Am L.V.||
|Hustla 4 Life||
|The Art of Making Love||
- The Playground with Prodeje (2002)
- Hood Affiliated with Prodeje (2008)
- The Gangstas In South Central with South Central Cartel (1996)
|Title||Release||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Throw Your Hands Up"||1995||63||42||84||47||46||5||24||I Am L.V.|
|"I Am L.V."||1996||—||87||—||—||—||42||64|
|"How Long"||2000||—||46||—||—||—||—||—||How Long|
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
- Huey, Steve. "L.V. | Biography & History | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved December 4, 2018.
- Australian (ARIA) chart peaks:
- Top 50 peaks: "L.V. in Australian Charts". Hung Medien. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- Top 100 peaks to December 2010: Ryan, Gavin (2011). Australia's Music Charts 1988–2010. Mt. Martha, VIC, Australia: Moonlight Publishing.
- "Throw Your Hands Up": "The Australian Top 100 Singles Chart – Week Ending 16 Jun 1996". Imgur.com (original document published by ARIA). Retrieved December 11, 2017. N.B. The HP column displays the highest peak reached.
- German chart peaks:
- UK chart peaks:
- "L.V. Chart History". Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums. Retrieved December 4, 2018.
- The Art of Making Love by L.V., March 15, 2017, retrieved December 4, 2018
- Hung, Steffen. "lescharts.com - Larry Sanders". lescharts.com. Retrieved December 4, 2018.
- Hung, Steffen. "charts.org.nz - Discography L.V." charts.nz. Retrieved December 4, 2018.