|Birth name||Gabriele Ponte|
|Born||20 April 1973|
Turin, Piedmont, Italy
|Genres||Italo dance, dance, electro house|
|Labels||Ultra Records, Dance and Love, Bliss Corporation, Spinnin' Records|
|Associated acts||Eiffel 65, Julissa Veloz, Pitbull, Shaggy|
Gabriele "Gabry" Ponte (Italian pronunciation: [ɡabriˈɛːle ˈɡaːbri ˈponte]; born 20 April 1973) is an Italian DJ, remixer, record producer, and radio personality, best known for his membership in the Italian dance band Eiffel 65.
With Eiffel 65's rise to fame in the late 1990s, his celebrity status was established. He later went on to produce the Italian hit single "Geordie" (a cover of Fabrizio de André's song by the same name, sung by Italian vocalist Stefania Piovesan), which was rewarded with gold record for selling over 25,000 copies, as well as hits "Time to Rock", "Got to Get", and "La Danza delle Streghe" (English: "The Dance of the Witches"). Also to his credit are a number of remixes of popular songs such as Gianni Togni's "Giulia" and O-Zone's "Dragostea Din Tei", among others.
In 2005, Ponte announced he would be separating from Eiffel 65 to pursue solo work. In 2006 he founded and still manages record label Dance and Love, nowadays one of the most important Italian dance independent labels. In January 2012, he also produced the international hit "Tacata'" by dance music trio Tacabro.
In 2012, Gabry Ponte released his single "Beat on My Drum" featuring Pitbull and Sophia del Carmen, which peaked at No. 11 on the US Hot Dance Club Songs. In 2014, his single "Buonanotte Giorno" became a summer hit in Italy as it reached the top 10. In the same year he entered the Top 100 DJs list from DJ Mag at No. 61.
Gabry Ponte first started his career as a DJ at Bliss Corporation in 1993 and in late 1995 he started his own record label there known as Worldbus Records. The primary focus of the label was to remake current and past hit songs of other artists into modern dance tracks. Several of the label's artists became some of Bliss Corporation's biggest, Full Sex, Karmah, Funktastica, and Sangwara, which Gabry Ponte was directly involved in. After three years Worldbus Records became Piranha Records and Gabry Ponte, as part of a trio dubbed Eiffel 65, went on to create a song called "Blue (Da Ba Dee)", at that point a normal Bliss Corporation release under the label Skooby Records. The song became a hit in Italy and was the first from Bliss Corporation to be released outside of Europe, from there it became a worldwide hit. Eiffel 65 then produced an album called Europop which too became a large hit. Three albums, 11 singles, and seven years later, Eiffel 65 parted ways and Gabry Ponte stayed with Bliss Corporation to continue with his solo work, releasing a number of singles and staying active in Italy's music scene. Ponte has since rejoined Eiffel 65 as of June 2010.
Sangwara was one of the projects that was released under Gabry Ponte's record label, Worldbus Records in the late 1990s. It was the only one he was directly involved in and produced the most hits the label had to offer. Their first release was a cover of Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise", which was well received in both Italy and Spain, followed by a remake of Roberta Flack's "Killing Me Softly", which had also been remade by the Fugees. This track became one of Sangwara's most well known and was made into a music video. This was followed by a release called "Bohemian Rhapsody", a cover of Queen's classic, also remade by The Braids. This release wasn't such a big hit for them and is now hard to find as a result. In early 1997 they produced their fourth release and final cover, a remake of No Doubt's "Don't Speak." This became Sangwara's biggest hit and was released on CD throughout Europe. After being inactive for almost a year Sangwara recorded their final release, an original track titled "Find a Way" which was released with four remixes. It was at that time that Worldbus Records ceased existence, which may have contributed to Sangwara's end. Over the two-year career of Sangwara, its primary members, DJs Gabry Ponte and MTJ Capuano, and vocalist Claire Thomas, often paired up with various other people to make the releases. Jeffrey Jey sung vocals on two of their releases and Joe Fancey, an American rapper, on one. Simone Pastore of Da Blitz was also one of many well known figures from Bliss Corporation to lend his hand in the production and mixing stages. Ultimately Sangwara was Gabry Ponte's big entrance into the world of music.
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions|
|Dr. Jekyll and Mr. DJ||2004||17|
- Modern Tech Noises According to Gabry Ponte (2007)
- Love Songs in the Digital Age According to Gabry Ponte (2007)
- Tunes from Planet Earth According to Gabry Ponte (2007)
- Gabry Ponte – Gabry2o Vol. 2 (2009)
- Dance & Love albums series:
- Gabry Ponte pres. Dance & Love selection Vol. 1 (2010) (ITA Peak: 75)
- Gabry Ponte pres. Dance & Love selection Vol. 2 (2010)
- Gabry Ponte pres. Dance & Love selection Vol. 3 (2010)
- Gabry Ponte pres. Dance & Love selection Vol. 4 (2011)
- 2006: Modern Tech Noises According to Gabry Ponte
- 2007: Love Songs in the Digital Age according to Gabry Ponte Containing: "Now & Forever" / "The Point of No Return" / "The Point of No Return (Bufalo & D-Deck Remix)" / "La Libertà" (Hard Love Remix) / "Geordie" (Eurotrance Remix)
- 2007: Tunes from Planet Earth According to Gabry Ponte
- 2018: Dance Lab
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Time to Rock"||2002||33||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Gabry Ponte|
|"De musica tonante"||2003||13||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
original by John Miles)
|"The Man in the Moon"||30||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|"Giulia" (with DJ Lhasa,
original by Gianni Togni)
|"La danza delle streghe"||7||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Dr. Jekyll & Mister DJ|
|"Figli di Pitagora"
(featuring Little Tony)
(with Ye Man)
|"Depends on You"||2005||13||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Dr. Jekyll & Mister DJ|
|"Sono già solo (Remix)"||2010||51||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Dance and Love – The Selection Vol. 3|
|"Beat on My Drum" (Belle Perez featuring Gabry Ponte, Pitbull and Sophia Del Carmen)||2012||85||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Non-album singles|
|"La fine del mondo"
(featuring Two Fingerz)
|"Che ne sanno i 2000"
|"The Passenger (LaLaLa)"
(with Lum!x and Mokaby and D.T.E)
(with Blasterjaxx featuring Riell)
|"Oh La La"
(with Moti featuring Mougleta)
(with Lucky Luke and Kevin Palms)
(with Lum!x and Prezioso)
|"The Portrait (Ooh La La)"
(with Henri PFR)
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released.|
- 2009: "U.N.D.E.R.G.R.O.U.N.D."
- 2009: "Electro Muzik is Back"
- 2010: "Sexy DJ (In da Club)" (featuring Maya Days)
- 2020: "Opera" (with La Diva)
- 2020: "Rocking Around The Christmas Tree" (Gabry Ponte Edit) (by Harris & Ford)
- "Gabry Ponte Discography at Discogs". Discogs. Retrieved 2010-12-11.
- "Gabry Ponte Al Subway... e il Sabato Sera diventa Leggenda". Subwayviterbo.it (in Italian). 20 March 2016.
- "Top 100 DJs 2014 - DJMag.com". DJ Mag. Retrieved 2014-10-20.
- "Discographie Gabry Ponte". Austrian Charts Portal. Hung Medien. Retrieved 29 April 2020.
- "Discographie Gabry Ponte" (in French). Ultratop. Retrieved 7 November 2021.
- "Gabry Ponte & Henri PFR – The Feeling" (in French). Ultratop. Retrieved 7 November 2021.
- "Discographie von Gabry Ponte". GfK Entertainment. Retrieved 27 March 2020.
- "Discographie Gabry Ponte". norwegiancharts.com. Retrieved 10 October 2021.
- "Veckolista Singlar, vecka 32" (in Swedish). Sverigetopplistan. Retrieved 13 August 2021.
- "Discographie Gabry Ponte". hitparade.ch. Retrieved 28 June 2021.
- "Veckolista Heatseeker, vecka 33". Sverigetopplistan. Retrieved 20 August 2021.
- "Golden (feat. RIELL) - Single by Blasterjaxx & Gabry Ponte on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 27 January 2021.
- "Oh La La (feat. Mougleta) - Single by Gabry Ponte & MOTi on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 24 March 2021.
- "Going Down - Single by Gabry Ponte, Lucky Luke & Kevin Palms on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 30 April 2021.
- "Top Singoli – Classifica settimanale WK 36" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Retrieved 11 September 2021.
- "The Portrait (Ooh La La) - Single by R3HAB & Gabry Ponte on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 2 September 2021.
- Dancing Astronaut Staff (27 September 2021). "Gabry Ponte, Henri PFR join forces to give Cindy Lauper a modern disco flip". Dancing Astronaut. Archived from the original on 27 September 2021. Retrieved 10 October 2021.