La Luna (Portland, Oregon)
La Luna (or LaLuna) was a rock-'n'-roll nightclub in Portland, Oregon, United States from 1992 to 1999. It played a central role in Portland's prominence during the emergence of grunge in that era, helping to propel bands from Portland and the surrounding area like Nirvana, Sweaty Nipples, The Dharma Bums, Pond, Hitting Birth, Hazel, The Spinanes, Elliott Smith, Everclear, Sublime, The Dandy Warhols, Cherry Poppin Daddies and Quasi to national stardom. It was described as the "best medium-size venue in Portland. It's also an all-ages venue that somehow manages to stay cool."
Located at the corner of Southeast Ninth Avenue and Southeast Pine Street, La Luna was previously known as the Ninth Street Exit (in the 1970s) and the Pine Street Theater (1980–1991). It was called RKCNDY Portland (Rock Candy) for most of 1992. It was later known again as the Pine Street Theater (2000–02) and later as Solid State (2004–05).
- Graham, John (1999). "Lunatics ball". Willamette Week. Retrieved February 28, 2012.
- Jewell, Judy (1998). Oregon. Compass American Guides. pp. 286–287.
- "Dinosaurs Live at Pine St. Theater on 1987-10-31". Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "Nine Days Wonder Live at Pine Street Theater on 1988-11-23". Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "Nine Days Wonder Live at Pine Street Theater on 1989-05-19". Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "Little Women Live at Pine St.Theater on 1990-02-16". Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "Young Fresh Fellows Live from Portland, Oregon @ The Pine Street Theater on December 20th, 1991". Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "Cracker Live at RKCNDY on 1992-07-15". Retrieved 7 February 2015.
|This article about a building or structure in Oregon is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|