Rothschild as pitching coach for the Yankees in 2014
|New York Yankees – No. 58|
|Pitcher / Manager / Coach|
March 12, 1954 |
|September 11, 1981, for the Detroit Tigers|
|Last MLB appearance|
|September 14, 1982, for the Detroit Tigers|
|Earned run average||5.40|
|Career highlights and awards|
Lawrence Lee Rothschild (born March 12, 1954) is an American professional baseball pitcher, coach, and manager. He currently serves as the pitching coach of the New York Yankees of Major League Baseball (MLB).
Rothschild played for the Detroit Tigers of MLB in 1981 and 1982. In addition to the Yankees, he has coached for the Cincinnati Reds, Atlanta Braves, Florida Marlins, and Chicago Cubs. He served as the manager of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays from 1998 through 2001.
Rothschild spent 11 years in the Cincinnati Reds, Detroit Tigers, San Diego Padres, and Chicago Cubs organizations as a relief pitcher from 1975 to 1985. He was 66–46 in the minor leagues. He pitched in seven games in the major leagues for the Tigers, five in 1981 and two in 1982.
Coaching and managing career
Rothschild managed the Tampa Bay Devil Rays beginning in their inaugural season of 1998 until early in the 2001 season, when he was fired as a result of three consecutive losing seasons and a 4–10 start to 2001. During his time in Tampa Bay, Rothschild compiled a record of 205 wins and 294 losses. He spent the remainder of 2001 as a consultant with the Florida Marlins, and was hired as the Chicago Cubs pitching coach in 2002.
New York Yankees (2011–present)
Prior to the 2011 season, he accepted a three-year contract from the New York Yankees after Dave Eiland was fired. Under Rothschild's tenure, the Yankees pitching staff has posted a 3.73 ERA in 2011, a 3.84 ERA in 2012, a 3.94 ERA in 2013, a 3.75 ERA in 2014, and a 4.05 ERA in 2015.
On October 17, 2013, Rothschild signed a one-year contract to remain with the Yankees. His contract was renewed through the 2016 season. On October 7, 2016 he signed a one-year deal to remain with the Yankees through the 2017 season.
Rothschild was born in Chicago, Illinois. He is Jewish on his father's side.
- "Devil Rays fire manager Larry Rothschild; McRae hired through 2003". St. Petersburg Times. Associated Press. Retrieved January 26, 2014.
- Hoch, Bryan (November 19, 2010). "Rothschild named Yankees pitching coach". Major League Baseball. Retrieved January 26, 2014.
- Feinsand, Mark (October 16, 2013). "Yankees close to new deal with pitching coach Larry Rothschild". Daily News. New York. Retrieved January 26, 2014.
- Horvitz, Peter S. (2001). The Big Book of Jewish Baseball. SP Books. ISBN 1561719730.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Larry Rothschild.|
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors), or Retrosheet, or Pura Pelota (Venezuelan Winter League), or Biography on Cubs Official Site
- Larry Rothschild managerial career statistics at Baseball-Reference.com
- Rosen, Harvey (March 5, 2008). "Warming up for the Jewish Boys of Summer". Jewish Ledger. Archived from the original on July 15, 2009.
|Florida Marlins Pitching Coach
|Chicago Cubs Pitching Coach
|New York Yankees Pitching Coach