1986 Major League Baseball season
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|1986 MLB season|
|League||Major League Baseball|
|Duration||April 7 – October 27, 1986|
|Top draft pick||Jeff King|
|Picked by||Pittsburgh Pirates|
|Season MVP||AL: Roger Clemens (BOS)|
NL: Mike Schmidt (PHI)
|AL champions||Boston Red Sox|
|AL runners-up||California Angels|
|NL champions||New York Mets|
|NL runners-up||Houston Astros|
|Champions||New York Mets|
|Runners-up||Boston Red Sox|
|Finals MVP||Ray Knight (NYM)|
The 1986 Major League Baseball season saw the New York Mets win their second World Series title, their first since 1969.
Awards and honors
- Baseball Hall of Fame
- Most Valuable Player
- Cy Young Award
- Rookie of the Year
- Rolaids Relief Man of the Year Award
- Manager of the Year Award
- Gold Glove Award
|Statistic||American League||National League|
|AVG||Wade Boggs BOS||.357||Tim Raines MTL||.334|
|HR||Jesse Barfield TOR||40||Mike Schmidt PHI||37|
|RBI||Joe Carter CLE||121||Mike Schmidt PHI||119|
|Wins||Roger Clemens BOS||24||Fernando Valenzuela LA||21|
|ERA||Roger Clemens BOS||2.48||Mike Scott HOU||2.22|
|SO||Mark Langston SEA||245||Mike Scott HOU||306|
|SV||Dave Righetti NYY||46||Todd Worrell STL||36|
|SB||Rickey Henderson NYY||87||Vince Coleman STL||107|
Major league baseball final standings
|League Championship Series
- American League Championship Series: Marty Barrett, MVP
- National League Championship Series: Mike Scott, MVP
- All-Star Game, July 15 at Astrodome: American League, 3–2; Roger Clemens, MVP
|Network||Day of week||Announcers|
|Al Michaels, Jim Palmer, Tim McCarver, Keith Jackson, Don Drysdale|
|NBC||Saturday afternoons||Vin Scully, Joe Garagiola, Bob Costas, Tony Kubek|
- April 7 – On Opening Day at Tiger Stadium, Boston Red Sox player Dwight Evans achieves a major league first by hitting a home run off Jack Morris on the first pitch of the season.
- April 29 – Roger Clemens struck out 20 batters in one game, the first time any pitcher had struck out 20 batters in a nine-inning game.
- June 6 – San Diego Padres manager Steve Boros is ejected before the first pitch, after showing the umpire video footage of a disputed play from the night before.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (September 2012)
- Crossman, Matt. "Parallel Pain". sportsonearth.com. Retrieved December 13, 2014.
- Jaffe, Chris. "Wednesday, June 06, 2012 50th anniversary: LaRussa goes pro". HardballTimes.com. Retrieved June 8, 2012.