|Nickname(s): Wech Gankiir|
|Motto(s): unity, prosperity|
Location of Latjor in South Sudan
|Number of Counties||9|
|• Governor||Peter Lam Both|
|Population (2014 Estimate)|
On 2 October 2015, President Salva Kiir issued a decree establishing 28 states in place of the 10 constitutionally established states. The decree established the new states largely along ethnic lines. A number of opposition parties and civil society groups challenged the constitutionality of the decree. Kiir later resolved to take it to parliament for approval as a constitutional amendment. In November the South Sudanese parliament empowered President Kiir to create new states.
The state consists of 5 counties created in April 2016:
- "President Kiir appoints members of Latjor state parliament". Sudan Tribune. 17 March 2016. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "S. Sudan's Kiir approves creation of 9 counties in Latjor state". Sudan Tribune. 19 April 2016. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "Kiir and Makuei want 28 states in South Sudan". Radio Tamazuj. Archived from the original on 2015-12-08.
- "Kiir pressured into taking decree to parliament for approval". Radio Tamazuj. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04.
- "South Sudan's Kiir appoints governors of 28 new states". Sudan Tribune.
- "South Sudan's President appoints 28 Governors, defies peace agreement". South Sudan News Agency. 24 December 2015. Archived from the original on 2 February 2016.
|This South Sudan location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|