|Also known as||Leo "Bud" Welch|
|Born||March 22, 1932|
Sabougla, Mississippi, U.S.
|Died||December 19, 2017 (aged 85)|
Bruce, Mississippi, U.S.
|Genres||Delta blues, gospel blues, country blues|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, songwriter, guitarist|
Leo "Bud" Welch (March 22, 1932 – December 19, 2017) was an American gospel blues musician and guitarist. He started his music career in 2014, with the release of the album Sabougla Voices by Big Legal Mess Records. His subsequent studio album, I Don't Prefer No Blues, also recorded for Big Legal Mess, was released in 2015.
Welch was born on March 22, 1932, in the town of Sabougla, Mississippi. He was a lumberjack for 30 years while he learned his musical craft in the Mississippi Delta, where he learned to play various instruments, including the fiddle, harmonica, and guitar.
His music recording career started in 2014, after he was secretly recorded performing at his manager's birthday party. He released his first album, Sabougla Voices, on the Fat Possum label. The subsequent album, I Don't Prefer No Blues, was released by Big Legal Mess on March 24, 2015.
Late Blossom Blues
The award-winning[which?] feature documentary Late Blossom Blues (Ö/US, 2017) by Austrian filmmakers Wolfgang Pfoser-Almer and Stefan Wolner is a portrait of Welch.
- Sabougla Voices (January 6, 2014, Fat Possum / Big Legal Mess)
- I Don't Prefer No Blues (March 24, 2015, Fat Possum / Big Legal Mess)
- Live at The Iridium (March 31, 2017, Cleopatra Blues)
- The Angels in Heaven Done Signed My Name (March 2019, Easy Eye Sound)
- "The Official Leo Bud Welch Website". The Official Leo Bud Welch Website. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- Leggett, Steve. "Leo Welch: Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved August 30, 2015.
- Lorenz, Zadro. "Review: The first European experience in Verona'". A-Z Blues. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- Kerzner, Barry (December 19, 2017). "Leo 'Bud' Welch Dead at 85". American Blues Scene.
- Leggett, Steve. "Leo Welch, Sabougla Voices". AllMusic. Retrieved August 30, 2015.
- Maine, David. "Leo Welch, Sabougla Voices". PopMatters. Retrieved August 30, 2015.
- Jurek, Thom. "Leo Welch, I Don't Prefer No Blues". AllMusic. Retrieved August 30, 2015.
- Child, Ben. "Leo Bud Welch, I Don't Prefer No Blues". PopMatters. Retrieved August 30, 2015.
- Honeyman, Lins. "Review: Leo Welch, I Don't Prefer No Blues". Cross Rhythms. Retrieved August 30, 2015.
- Barretta, Scott (December 20, 2017). "Mississippi blues guitarist Leo "Bud" Welch dies after decades of playing". The Clarion-Ledger.