The King (2017 American film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Eugene Jarecki|
|Distributed by||Oscilloscope Laboratories|
The King is a 2017 American documentary film about Elvis Presley and America during his career. Eugene Jarecki directs and also co-wrote the script with Christopher St. John, who produces. The film had its North American premiere at the 2018 Sundance Film Festival, after its international premiere at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival. It was released in the United States on June 22, 2018. Between its premiere at Cannes and its commercial release, the film's named was changed from Promised Land to The King.
The film follows filmmaker Eugene Jarecki as he travels in a 1963 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud once owned by Elvis Presley to various cities across America, including Tupelo, Memphis, New York City and Las Vegas.
On review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 78% based on 86 reviews, and an average rating of 7.2/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "The King pursues a wildly ambitious thesis through some fairly bumpy territory, but emerges as a provocative and insightful look at modern America." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 70 out of 100, based on 30 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- "The King (2018)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved August 6, 2018.
- "Promised Land". Cannes Film Festival. Retrieved July 12, 2018.
- Geier, Thom (February 5, 2018). "'The King' Director Eugene Jarecki on How Elvis Is Metaphor for America". TheWrap. Retrieved July 12, 2018.
- Brooks, Brian (June 24, 2018). "'The King' Reigns Over Mixed Weekend of Openers; 'Won't You Be My Neighbor?' Expands Robustly: Specialty Box Office". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved June 26, 2018.
- "The King (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- "The King Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- The King on IMDb
- Ehrlich, David (May 20, 2017). "'Promised Land' Review: Eugene Jarecki's Brilliant Documentary Uses Elvis Presley To Explain Donald Trump — Cannes 2017". IndieWire. Penske Business Media.
- Hoffman, Jordan (May 20, 2017). "Promised Land review - a wild ride through doomed America in Elvis Presley's car". The Guardian. Guardian News and Media.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (May 26, 2017). "Eugene Jarecki On His Journey Through The 'Promised Land' – Cannes Studio". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media.
- Wilkinson, Alyssa (May 21, 2017). "Cannes 2017: Two new road trip documentaries paint moving portraits of France and the US". Vox. Vox Media.
- Pond, Steve (May 20, 2017). "'Promised Land' Cannes Review: Elvis Presley, Meet Donald Trump". TheWrap.
|This article about a political documentary film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|