New York & Company
A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (June 2014)
|Fate||Chapter 11 Bankruptcy|
|Headquarters||330 West 34th Street|
Number of locations
|Gregory J. Scott, CEO|
|Products||Women's Apparel & Accessories|
|Revenue||US$929.1 million (2016)|
|US$-15.4 million (2016)|
|US$-17.3 million (2016)|
|Total assets||US$301.6 million (2016)|
|Total equity||US$79.17 million (2016)|
Number of employees
New York & Company, Inc. (NY&C) is an American workwear retailer for women. New York & Company apparel and accessories are sold through a nationwide network of retail stores, New York & Company Outlet Stores and through its e-commerce site. In November 2018 its name was changed to RTW Retailwinds, Inc.
NY&Co. headquarters are in New York City as is the flagship store located in the Manhattan Mall in Midtown Manhattan.
New York & Company was founded in 1918 as Lerner Shops by Samuel A. Lerner and Harold M. Lane in New York City. Samuel Lerner was the uncle of lyricist Alan Jay Lerner. In 1992, the company changed its name to Lerner New York and in 1995 to New York & Company. They were publicly traded between 2004 and 2020.
- 1918 - The Lerner brothers, blouse manufacturers, opens the first Lerner Shops store in New York City; 18 more shops open later that year
- 1930 - The first West Coast Lerner Shops location opens in Los Angeles, California
- 1985 - Limited Brands purchases the company
- 1992 - The company changes its name to Lerner New York
- 1995 - The company changes its name to New York & Company, one of several labels Lerner New York carries
- 2002 - New York & Company becomes an independent company when it is purchased from Limited Brands by Bear Stearns Merchant Banking
- 2004 - New York & Company goes public
- 2005 - Flagship NY&C store opens in New York City at 58th Street and Lexington Avenue
- 2006 - E-commerce site nyandcompany.com is launched
- 2010 - The New York & Company Outlet division is launched
- 2012 - NY&C Beauty, including fragrance, lip, and nail products, is launched
- 2013 - The Eva Mendes Collection, an exclusive collection designed in collaboration with actress Eva Mendes, is launched nationwide
- 2016 - CEO Gregory Scott and his company are featured in an episode of Undercover Boss.
- 2017 - Gabrielle Union launches a collection of clothing under the New York and Company brand.
- 2018 - Kate Hudson intros her line and is Ambassador for their Soho Jeans line.
- 2018 - Rebranding of New York & Co to RTW Retailwinds 
- 2020 - Parent company files for bankruptcy and says they may close all New York & Company locations.
Celebrities who have appeared in advertisements for New York & Company include Eva Longoria, Brooke Shields, Iman, Cindy Crawford, Jennifer Hudson, Maria Menounos, Ellen Pompeo, Patrick Dempsey, Eva Mendes and Gabrielle Union and Kate Hudson.
- "Company Information | RTW Retailwinds, Inc". nyandcompany.gcs-web.com.
- "New York & Company could close all stores — 5 in San Diego County — due to bankruptcy". 13 July 2020.
- "Bear Stearns Merchant Banking Announces Purchase of New York & Company | Irving Place Capital". Retrieved 2021-01-31.
- New York & Company, Inc. Announces Pricing of Initial Public Offering.
- "Eva Mendes Gives Peek at New Line, Shares Beauty Tips". ABC News; Good Morning America. Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- "Gabrielle Union on Her New Fashion Collection, Sharing Clothes With Hubbie Dwyane Wade and Their Top L.A. Spots". The Hollywood Reporter. 16 August 2017.
- Edelson, Sharon (August 22, 2018). "Kate Hudson Partners With New York & Co. for Rtw Collection".
- "New York & Company, Inc. Announces Rebranding and Transformation". www.businesswire.com. September 11, 2018.
- Lockwood, Lisa. "New York & Co. Signs Eva Longoria" (8/11/2005). WWD.
- "Brooke Shields, Print Ad". imdb.com.
- Marsi, Steve (6 November 2006). "Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey For New York & Company: Holiday Style". Retrieved 6 November 2006.