|Type||division of The Limited|
|Nasdaq: GLYN (2001–2004)|
|Founded||Plainfield, Indiana, 1946|
|Founder||Albert and Naomi Galyan|
|Fate||Acquired by Dick's Sporting Goods|
|Successor||Dick's Sporting Goods|
Number of locations
|Website||Archived official website at the Wayback Machine (archive index)|
The store began in 1946 as a grocery store, founded by Albert and Naomi Galyan. By the 1960s, the Galyans began selling sporting goods instead. The chain was purchased in 1995 by The Limited. At the time, the chain consisted of only five stores, but grew to 20 by 1999 when The Limited sold 60% of the company to the investment firm of Freeman, Spogli & Company. The company became a publicly traded company when it released its IPO on NASDAQ in 2001. Many of the stores featured rock climbing walls, golf simulators, and archery ranges.
- "Galyan's Opens New Store in Lakewood, Colorado". PR Newswire (Press release). April 29, 2004.
- McLinden, Steve (August 30, 2002). "Plainfield, Ind.-Based Sports Retailer Opens Store in Arlington, Texas". Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News. Archived from the original on November 5, 2013 – via Highbeam Research.
- Kukolla, Steve (July 5, 1995). "The Limited buys Galyan's". Indianapolis Star. p. A1. Alternate Link via ProQuest.
- "Galyan's Trading Stores to Be Acquired By The Limited". New York Times. July 6, 1995.
- "The Limited, Inc. Acquires Galyan's Trading Company". PR Newswire (Press release). July 5, 1995 – via The Free Library.
- Kukolla, Steve (February 16, 1997). "Galyan's expansion drive has stalled". Indianapolis Star. p. E1. Alternate Link via ProQuest.
- Linstedt, Sharon (June 24, 1999). "Galyan's Sporting Goods Store Being Built At Walden Galleria". Buffalo News. p. A11. Alternate Link via NewsBank.
- "Spinoff and Sale By the Limited". New York Times. May 4, 1999.
- "Limited completes Galyan's deal". Columbus Business First. September 1, 1999.
- Hoke, Kathy (July 2, 2001). "Limited to keep its hand in Galyan's following IPO". Columbus Business First.
- "Galyan's Opens New Store In Woodbridge Store Features Rock Climbing Wall, Golf: Simulator and Archery Range". PR Newswire (Press release). September 9, 2003.
- "Galyans Opens New Store In Virginia Beach". Transworld Snowboarding. April 21, 2004.
- "Galyan's opens new store in Lakewood today". BizWest. April 30, 2004.
- "Galyan's Trading Company, Inc. Company Profile". Yahoo Finance. Archived from the original on 2013-10-29.
- Bowman, Becky (July 30, 2004). "Outdoor retailer Galyans to close Plainfield, Ind., headquarters by Jan. 31". Indianapolis Star. Archived from the original on November 5, 2013 – via Highbeam Research.
- "Dick's Sporting Goods to buy Galyan's for $305 million". Deseret News. June 22, 2004.
- Official website (Archive)