Light art performance photography
||It has been suggested that this article be merged into Light painting. (Discuss) Proposed since March 2016.|
|This article or section possibly contains previously unpublished synthesis of published material that conveys ideas not attributable to the original sources. (September 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Light Art Performance Photography (abbreviation: LAPP) is a technique in photography that is used to create new figures and structures only with light. Following the original Greek meaning of Photography (Greek φῶς, phos, genetive: φωτός, photos, "light" (of the luminary), "brightness" and γράφειν, graphein, "drawing", "carve", "create", "write") it is a symbiosis of light art and photography.
The main difference from other photographic forms like light painting or light writing is the inclusion of the background in the photo. Location selection is a very important aspect of these projects, because the scenery of the landscape or buildings, such as industrial ruins, often have to be researched. Every composition needs its own background. LED-lamps are often used. Playing with cold and warm light opens the possibility to emphasize different structures. Often more than one person is involved in a work of. One person creates the light figures and structures while the other person operates the camera.
For night photography a tripod, a timer and a SLR are needed because the shutter can remain open for more than 10 seconds. Effects are often employ LED lights, luminescent materials, pyrotechnics, fireworks and flashlights.
In March 2007, JanLeonardo developed and named the art. Six months later, in collaboration with Jörg Miedza, he founded the project LAPP-PRO.de that further developed the technique. In 2011, the pair separated. LAPP has grown internationally since its inception.
Awards and recognition
- Deutscher Preis für Wissenschaftsfotografie 2008 – 1. Platz
- JanLeonardo (born 1970)
- Available Light
- Light Painting
- Light art
- Fire dancing
- Night photography
- Kinetic photography
- JanLeonardo Woellert & Joerg Miedza - Faszination Lichtmalerei: Die Kunst der Light Art Performance Photography, 09/2010, dpunkt Verlag, ISBN 978-3-89864-669-7 (German)
-  - Canon Professionell Network
- [JanLeonardo Woellert & Joerg Miedza - Faszination Lichtmalerei: Die Kunst der Light Art Performance Photography, 09/2010, dpunkt Verlag, ISBN 978-3-89864-669-7 (German)]
- "Deutscher Preis für Wissenschaftsfotografie 2008 – 1. Platz" (PDF). Retrieved 18 November 2014.
- Thesis from Dipl-Ing Lydia Mantler about Light Painting in particular about LAPP (german)
- Official LAPP Homepage (german-english)
- Fotocommunity - LAPP section (german)
- t-online Fotomagazin - LAPP Lichtkunst (german)
- Daily Mail article about LAPP and the developer (english)
- Canon article about LAPP (english)
- ProfiFoto Article about LAPP (german)
- Flickr LAPP Group (english)
- International Light Painting Award | Annual, International Photo Competition For Light Painting
- SWISS LAPP Website (english / german)
- JanLeonardo Woellert & Joerg Miedza - Painting with Light: Light Art Performance Photography, o7/2011, Rocky Nook, ASIN: B005EI84BU (English)