Lightspeed Venture Partners
|Headquarters||Menlo Park, California, United States|
|Total assets||Over $10 billion|
Lightspeed Venture Partners is a global venture capital firm focusing on multi-stage investments in the enterprise technology, consumer, and health sectors. Over the past two decades, the firm has backed more than 400 companies, including Snapchat, Affirm, MuleSoft, and AppDynamics.
The company invests in the U.S. and abroad, with investment professionals and advisors in Silicon Valley, Israel, India, China, Europe, and Southeast Asia.
The firm was founded in October 2000 by Barry Eggers, Ravi Mhatre, Peter Nieh, and Chris Schaepe. All four were formerly a part of the investment firm Weiss, Peck & Greer and left to start Lightspeed following the sale of the investment management business to Robeco.
In 2014, Lightspeed closed Lightspeed X, a $1 billion fund focused on the Enterprise, Consumer and Cleantech markets. As of 2012 the firm had over $3 billion in committed capital.
In March 2016, the company raised two new funds totaling in $1.2 billion.
Snapchat raised $485,000 in its seed round and an undisclosed amount of bridge funding from Lightspeed Ventures in 2012. Beyond the two Snap founders, the two biggest shareholders for the planned early 2017 Snap IPO were Benchmark and Lightspeed Venture Partners, both prior Snap investors and venture-capital firms from Silicon Valley. They held a combined stake of about 20%.
In April 2020, Lightspeed Venture Partners raised $4.2 billion across three funds: $890 million for its latest early-stage venture fund, a $1.83 billion growth fund for later-stage investments, and a $1.5 billion opportunity fund for doubling down on winners in its international portfolio.
In September 2020, Lightspeed Venture Partners launched its Southeast Asia operations with a new regional headquarters in Singapore.
- Aqua Security
- Avamar acquired by EMC
- Beme ($2.6M, July 28, 2015)
- DoubleClick acquired by Google post IPO
- Duck Duck Moose
- Elementum SCM Inc.
- Flixster acquired by Warner Brothers
- Growth Networks acquired by Cisco
- Kiva Software acquired by Netscape
- Kosmix acquired by Walmart
- LiveProfile acquired by BlackBerry
- Linkamedia acquired by SK Hynix
- Nicira acquired by VMware for $1.26B
- OYO Rooms
- Percolate ($40M in May 2015)
- OverOps ($15M in April 2016)
- Playdom acquired by Disney
- Pliant Technology acquired by SanDisk
- Ripple Labs
- Serious Business acquired by Zynga
- Snapchat ($485K in March 2012)
- Telogy acquired by Texas Instruments
- TimesTen acquired by Oracle
- TutorVista acquired by Pearson
- Vector Space Systems
- Virsa acquired by SAP
- Indian Energy Exchange (IEX)
- Yellow Messenger
- Waveset acquired by Sun Microsystems
- XtremeIO acquired by EMC
- Unilodgers Inc.
Lightspeed Scout Program
The Lightspeed Scout Program brings together exceptional entrepreneurs, future investors, and operators, to advance their skills and track record as early-stage investors. Lightspeed supports Scouts with capital, programming, and community. Scouts work with Lightspeed Partners and their fellow Scouts to invest in aspiring entrepreneurs in their network and build their personal investment strategy. The 2020 Lightspeed Scout Program brought together people from black, Latino, indigenous, and Pacific Islander communities to receive support and capital as they join the venture industry. The firm's aspiration is that the Scout Program’s renewed focus and commitment to representation will inspire the future leaders of venture.
- "Crunchbase". Retrieved 2013-02-25. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Business Insider: How to Remain King of the World amidst Titanic Disruptions". Retrieved 2013-02-25. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Loizos, Connie. "Lightspeed Venture Partners Raises $1.2 Billion". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2016-04-05.
- Gallagher, Billy (October 29, 2012). "You Know What's Cool? A Billion Snapchats: App Sees Over 20 Million Photos Shared Per Day, Releases On Android". TechCrunch. Retrieved December 22, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Winkler, Rolfe (February 3, 2017), Snap IPO Will Mint Fortunes for Founders, Two Big Investors, New York City: Wall Street Journal, retrieved January 4, 2017 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Konrad, Alex. "VC Firm Lightspeed Raises $4 Billion In Startup Landscape Shaken By COVID-19". Forbes. Retrieved 2020-04-30.
- "Lightspeed announces the launch of its Southeast Asia operations". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2020-09-17.
- *"Aqua Security raises $25 mln, brings total to date to $38.5 mln". Reuters. September 19, 2017.
- *Kawamoto, Dawn (January 2, 2002). "Blue Nile raises $7 million". CNET.
- "Crunchbase Lightspeed Venture Partners". Retrieved 2013-02-25. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- *Sharma, Samidha (March 28, 2017). "Byju's gets fresh funds, this time from Belgium's Verlinvest". The Times of India.
- *Bansal, Varsha (June 20, 2017). "Darwinbox raises $4M funding led by Lightspeed". Economic Times.
- *Perez, Sara (September 26, 2012). "Kids App Maker Duck Duck Moose Raises $7M Series A From Sequoia, Lightspeed & Others". TechCrunch.
- *Hussain, Shariq (April 7, 2017). "Real-estate Startup FastFox raises Series A Funding from LightSpeed". Indian CEO.
- Sandilya, Sanu (2017-04-06). "Home rental startup FastFox gets Rs 30 crore from Lightspeed, 2 others". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "India Dealbook: FastFox gets $4.6m from Lightspeed, others; DataWeave fundraise - DealStreetAsia". www.dealstreetasia.com. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "FastFox | crunchbase". www.crunchbase.com. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- *Olsen, Stefanie (April 4, 2008). "Flixster brings in millions to boost movie-ratings network". CNET.
- *Britton, Jenna (August 2, 2012). "FiveStars Raises $13.9 Million From Lightspeed Venture Partners and DCM". Businesswire.
- *Wauters, Robin (April 18, 2011). "Walmart Ventures Into The Social Media Space With Acquisition Of Kosmix". TechCrunch.
- *D'Onfro, Jillian (April 17, 2019). "Moveworks raises $30 million to automate IT support". Forbes.
- "VMware Buys Nicira For $1.26 Billion And Gives More Clues About Cloud Strategy". Retrieved 2013-02-25. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- *Williams, Alex (October 7, 2013). "Numerify's Stealth Mode Status Poses A Paradox For The Cloud Analytics Company". TechCrunch.
- *Sharma, Samidha (April 24, 2017). "Oyo halves SoftBank-led latest round size to $250 million". The Times of India.
- *Clancy, Heather (May 14, 2015). "Percolate, a marketing software startup, raises $40 million to make the CMO's life simpler". Fortune.
- *Primack, Dan (April 20, 2016). "Term Sheet — Wednesday, April 20". Fortune.
- *Savitz, Eric (May 16, 2011). "SanDisk Agrees To Buy Pliant Technology For $327 Million". Forbes.
- "Pliant Technology Receives $8 Million in Series A Funding". Retrieved 2013-02-25. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- *Azzano, Michael (November 12, 2013). "Ripple Labs Announces $3.5 Million Investment Round". Marketwired.
- *Mhatre, Ravi (May 9, 2016). "Meet the founder behind Rubrik, one of Lightspeed's biggest investments to date". Medium.
- *Darrow, Barb (August 13, 2014). "Identity and access management landgrab continues with massive Sailpoint funding". Gigaom.
- *Eldon, Erik (February 11, 2010). "Zynga Acquires Serious Business, Gets Even Bigger". Adweek.
- *Shontell, Alyson (March 2, 2017). "How Snapchat's first investor — whose stake is now worth $2 billion — found Snapchat when it had less than 100,000 users". Business Insider.
- "Who Wins in the Solazyme IPO?". Retrieved 2013-02-25. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- *ELUVANGAL, SREEJIRAJ (April 23, 2012). "Pearson takes control of TutorVista for Rs577 crore". Business Wire.
- *Vance, Ashlee (June 29, 2017). "SpaceX Vet's Startup Readies Small Rockets for Takeoff". Bloomberg.
- "Yellow Messenger raises $20 million Series B from Lightspeed Venture Partners". The Economic Times. 2020-04-16. Retrieved 2020-04-30.
- *Marshall, Matt (January 19, 2011). "EMC's buy of XtremIO for $400M could spur M&A rush in flash storage". Daily News and Analysis.
- "XtremIO Adds Lightspeed Venture Partners to Series B Funding for Scale-out Enterprise Flash Storage Array". Retrieved 2013-02-25. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)