|Born||May 1, 1964|
|Occupation||Writer, journalist, public speaker|
|Education||Goldsmiths, University of London (MA)|
|Period||1999 – present|
|Notable works||"Socialism Is Great!": A Worker's Memoir of the New China|
Lijia Zhang (Chinese: 张丽佳; pinyin: Zhāng Lìjiā; born May 1, 1964 in Nanjing) is a Chinese writer, journalist and public speaker. She describes herself as a communicator between China and the world and has given talks at conferences about contemporary China. She has given lectures at Stanford University, Harvard University, and the University of Sydney.
Early life and education
As a child, Zhang wanted to become a writer. At the age of 16, she left school and began working in a factory. During the decade at the factory she taught herself English. In 2003, she was able to attend Goldsmiths, University of London, where she earned a master's degree in creative writing.
Her articles have been published in many newspapers and magazines. She co-authored China Remembers (OUP, 1999) and her memoir "Socialism Is Great!": A Worker's Memoir of the New China, is published by Atlas & Co. and Random House and has been translated into seven languages. During the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, she served as a producer for the BBC crew reporting the games. She was the subject of a BBC TV documentary Peschardt's People. Sponsored by the United States Department of State, she was a fellow on the University of Iowa's International Writing Program in 2009. Her first novel, Lotus, about prostitution set in modern day Shenzhen, was published in 2017.
- Barnes, Nicole E. (June 10, 2008). "China Annals: Interview with Lijia Zhang". The China Beat. Retrieved October 13, 2020 – via Blogger.
- ""Socialism is Great!": From Rocket Factory Girl to International Media". ceas.stanford.edu. Stanford Center for East Asian Studies. October 27, 2009. Retrieved July 18, 2017.
- Kahn, Joseph (April 13, 2008). "Party Girl". The New York Times. Retrieved October 13, 2020.
- "A window into the new China: Lijia Zhang's 'Lotus' « Amitav Ghosh". Retrieved December 10, 2020.
- Zhang, Lijia (April 17, 2008). "Socialism Is Great!": A Worker's Memoir of the New China: Lijia Zhang: 9780977743377. ISBN 978-0977743377.
- "2009 IWP Participants". iwp.uiowa.edu. University of Iowa. 2009. Archived from the original on October 9, 2009. Retrieved July 18, 2017.
- Zimmerman, Jean (January 11, 2017). "Earthy 'Lotus' Is A Fascinating Flower". NPR. Retrieved July 18, 2017.
- Zhang, Lijia. "About". lijiazhang.com. Archived from the original on March 5, 2016.
- "Zhang Lijia moves to London – China Speakers Bureau". Retrieved December 10, 2020.