Lindley Hall, London
|Location||City of Westminster, London, England|
|Architect||Edwin J Stebbs|
|Architectural style(s)||Edwardian, Renaissance, Arts and Crafts|
Lindley Hall in Elverton Street, Westminster, London is the older of the two Royal Horticultural Halls and is owned by RHS Enterprises Limited, which is part of the charity Royal Horticultural Society in central London. The other is Lawrence Hall, which is no longer owned by the RHS; both are close to Vincent Square.
It was the monarch King Edward VII who had mooted the idea of the Royal Horticultural Society having a purpose-built exhibition hall for its shows. Lindley Hall was designed by Edwin J Stebbs and was built in 1904 of red brick with stone dressings and banding, with Arts and Crafts features and Renaissance details. His focus on achieving as much natural light as possible remains a key part of the character of the building, though complete blackout is also possible. It is noted for its classic Edwardian architecture.
On 22 July 1904, together with the Society's patron Queen Alexandra, King Edward VII officially declared the venue open.
|Main Hall||36m × 22m|
|Annex||13.4m × 6.3m|
|Gallery||16m × 4.5m|
|Ceiling Height||13.5m at highest point|
Events held at the hall include:
- Lancôme Colour Design Awards (2006)
- Stella McCartney Spring/Summer Collection Fashion Show (2009)
- Tom Ford Spring/Summer 2015 show for London Fashion Week (2014)
- Moschino Men's Spring/Summer 2015 Collection Fashion Show (2014) and Men's Autumn/Winter 2015 Collection Fashion Show (2015)
- Mary Katrantzou Autumn/Winter Collection 2015 show for London Fashion Week (2015)
- Katie Piper fundraising dinner (2014) for the Katie Piper Foundation. Attended by Simon Cowell (a patron of the foundation), Cheryl Fernandez-Versini, Louis Walsh, and Mel B
- Paul Smith Fashion Show
- Marks & Spencer Womenswear Launch (2003)
- Coys of Kensington Classic Car Auctions
- Volkswagen Launch Event
Film and Television
Use of Lindley Hall as a filming location include:
- BBC Question Time (TV Programme)
- Robbie Williams - Old Before I Die (Music Video)
- Audi Q5 (Advertisement)
- The Lindley Hall, Royal Horticultural Halls & Conference Centre
- RHH to close halls for £1.2m refurbishment, Event magazine, 4 April 2006. Retrieved 5 October 2011.
- RHH hosts the launch of M&S womenswear, Event magazine, 19 December 2003. Retrieved 5 October 2011.
- Marketers switch 2009 conference to Royal Horticultural Halls, venues.org.uk, 10 June 2008. Retrieved 5 October 2011.
- The Yonex All England Badminton Championships Historic Venues By Dominic Bliss. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- Royal Horticultural Society Old Hall, Westminster, at British Listed Buildings website. Retrieved 2011-10-07.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to RHS Lindley Hall.|
|This architecture-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|