Linwood Islamic Centre
|Linwood Islamic Centre|
Linwood Islamic Centre in March 2020
|Ecclesiastical or organisational status||Mosque|
|Ownership||Linwood Islamic Charitable Trust|
|Location||223A Linwood Avenue, Linwood, Christchurch, New Zealand|
The Linwood Islamic Centre is a Sunni Islam mosque in Linwood, Christchurch, New Zealand. The mosque opened in early 2018 on the grounds of the former Christchurch Bahai Centre and the building had most recently been the Linwood Community Centre. The building was formerly a Sunday School Hall in Highstead Road and was moved to Linwood in the late 1980s. It was the second mosque to open in Christchurch. It is owned by the Linwood Islamic Charitable Trust, which was founded in 2017.
On 15 March 2019, this mosque and the Al Noor Mosque were targeted in the Christchurch mosque shootings. Of the 51 people fatally shot and the 40 people injured overall in the attack, seven people were killed and five others injured here. It reopened on 23 March, the same day as Al Noor.
- "Linwood Masjid in Christchurch, Canterbury". Salatomatic. Halalfire. Retrieved 30 March 2019.
- Sharma, Gaurav (8 March 2018). "Christchurch gets its second mosque". The Indian Weekender. Onehunga: KMG Interactive. Retrieved 30 March 2019.
- Akerman, Tessa (16 March 2019). "Linwood mosque reflects a growing Muslim community". Maclean's. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Deadly Christchurch mosque shootings: 49 dead after 'well-planned' attack". Radio New Zealand. 15 March 2019.
- Rawlinson, Kevin; Hunt, Elle; Weaver, Matthew; Zhou, Naaman; Lyons, Kate; Martin, Lisa (15 March 2019). "New Zealand shooting: suspect due in court after 49 killed – latest updates". The Guardian.
- Bayer, Kurt; Leasl, Anna (24 August 2020). "Christchurch mosque terror attack sentencing: Gunman Brenton Tarrant planned to attack three mosques". New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 24 August 2020.
- Davison, Isaac (23 March 2019). "Al Noor and Linwood mosques re-open a week after massacre". NZ Herald. news.com.au. Retrieved 13 November 2019.
|This mosque or other Islamic place of worship article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|