Linwood Islamic Centre
|Linwood Islamic Centre|
|Ecclesiastical or organisational status||Mosque|
|Ownership||Linwood Islamic Charitable Trust|
|Location||223A Linwood Avenue, Linwood, Christchurch, New Zealand|
The Linwood Islamic Centre is a mosque in Linwood, Christchurch, New Zealand. The mosque opened in early 2018 on the grounds of a former church. It was the second mosque to open in Christchurch.
On 15 March 2019, the mosque, along with the Al Noor Mosque, was one of two targeted by the Christchurch mosque attacks. Seven people at the Linwood Avenue mosque were initially reported killed, with others injured. Survivors described a gunman opening fire on praying people, with ten people later reported killed, three of whom were outside the mosque.
- Gaurav Sharma (8 March 2018). "Christchurch gets its second Mosque". The Indian Weekender. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- Akerman, Tessa (16 March 2019). "Linwood mosque reflects a growing Muslim community". Maclean's. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Deadly Christchurch mosque shootings: 49 dead after 'well-planned' attack". Radio New Zealand. 15 March 2019.
- Rawlinson, Kevin; Hunt, Elle; Weaver, Matthew; Zhou, Naaman; Lyons, Kate; Martin, Lisa (15 March 2019). "New Zealand shooting: suspect due in court after 49 killed – latest updates". The Guardian.
- "New Zealand shootings: What we know so far". Maclean's. 15 March 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
|This mosque or other Islamic place of worship article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|