List of Alfred University people
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (October 2015)|
Main category: Alfred University alumni
- Melvil Dewey, librarian, creator of the Dewey Decimal System, who attended in 1870 but did not graduate
- Robert Archambeau - ceramic artist
- Arthur Eugene Baggs, ceramic artist and glaze chemist
- R. Guy Cowan, founder, Cowan Pottery
- Andrew Deutsch, electronic and sound artist
- Ken Ferguson, ceramist
- Nathan Lyons 1957, founder, Director Emeritus of Visual Studies Workshop, Rochester, NY
- Otellie Loloma, Hopi potter, art educator
- Maija Grotell, ceramicist
- Kristen Morgin, sculptor
- Kenneth Price, modern ceramic sculptor
- Daniel Rhodes, ceramicist and noted author on ceramic technique
- Siona Shimshi, painter, sculptor, ceramist, and textile designer
- Arnold Zimmerman, modern sculptor
- Robert H. Benmosche 1966, CEO of American International Group; Chairman, former President and Chief Executive Officer of Metropolitan Life Insurance Company
- Peter Cuneo 1967, Chairman of Cuneo and Co. and Marvel Enterprises, Inc
- Rodney O. Martin, Jr., Chairman and CEO, Voya Financial.
- Bob Keeshan, better known as Captain Kangaroo, received an honorary doctorate from Alfred in 1969
- Robert Klein, actor and comedian 
- Dr. Lowell Fitz Randolph plant scientist (crop and plant genetics) and author, (1894-1980)
- Samuel Hulbert, biomedical engineer; pioneer in ceramic devices; president of Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
- Clarence W. Spicer 1891-1894, inventor; businessman; invented a type of universal joint; founded Spicer Manufacturing Company, now the Dana Holding Corporation
- Ward Churchill, writer and political activist; received an honorary doctorate in 1992
- Richard Dolan, author whose works include UFOs and the National Security State
- Peter Jenkins, author whose book A Walk Across America begins in Alfred
- Robert Littell, author of several spy novels
- Cathy Bissoon, United States District Judge, United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- William Wallace Brown, United States Congressman from Pennsylvania (1883–87)
- Burrows Burdick, Wisconsin physician and legislator
- David Chesnoff, Criminal Defense Attorney
- George P. Darrow, United States Congressman from Pennsylvania
- Rufus Mallory, United States Congressman from Oregon, (1867-1869), Speaker of the Oregon State House, (1872-1873)
- Nancy Nadel, City Council member, Oakland, California
- Tom Reed, United States Congressman from New York, (2010–Present), Mayor of Corning, NY, (2008-2010).
- Henry Moore Teller, United States Congressman from Colorado (1876–82, 1885–1909), Secretary of the Interior (1882–85)
- Augustus Everett Willson, Governor of Kentucky (1907-1911)
- Les Goble, American football player
- Frank Trigilio, American football player
- Ray Witter, American football player
- Oluwale Bamgbose, UFC middleweight fighter
Main category: Alfred University faculty
- Wayne Higby, one of the defining ceramic artists of the 80s; known for work in Raku ceramics and large bowl forms that toyed with the notion of vessel and landscape imagery
- Ben Howard, author of six books of poetry
- Robert Chapman Turner, influential ceramics artist and teacher who founded the ceramics program at Black Mountain College; key member of the ceramics faculty in the 50s-70s, considered by some to be the "golden age" of the program
- Alfred University : New York State College of Ceramics : News
- Smith, Roberta. "Ken Price, Sculptor Whose Artworks Helped Elevate Ceramics, Dies at 77". The New York Times Online. New York Times Company. Retrieved 16 November 2014.
- Forbes. "Robert H. Benmosche". Retrieved 2009-09-18.
- Gardyasz, Joe (March 14, 2014). "ING rebranding as Voya Financial". Business Record. Des Moines, Iowa: Business Communications. Retrieved April 21, 2015.
Education: Bachelor of Business Administration, Alfred University, Alfred, N.Y. (caption on picture)
- "Alfred University, Honorary Degrees, 1960-1969".[dead link]
- "Robert Klein Biography". The Conversation Company, Ltd. Archived from the original on May 9, 2008. Retrieved 2009-09-18.
- Banks, Harlan P.; Srb, Adrian M.; Uhl, Charles H. "Lowell Fitz Randolph (Cornell University Faculty Memorial Statement)" (PDF). ecommons.library.cornell.edu. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- Alfred University, Special Collections & Archives, Herrick Memorial Library. Clarence W. Spicer. Retrieved on 2007-12-07 Archived December 6, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Alfred University, Honorary Degrees, 1990-1999".[dead link]
- Jenkins, Peter. "About Peter Jenkins". Retrieved 2009-05-11.
- United States Congress. "Brown, William Wallace". Biographical Directory of US Congress 1774- Present. Retrieved February 27, 2012.
- "David Z. Chesnoff Lawyer Profile on". Martindale.com. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- "DARROW, George Potter". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. United States Congress. Retrieved 2009-05-11.
- United States Congress. "Reed, Thomas W. II". Biographical Directory of Us Congress 1774- Present. Retrieved February 27, 2012.
- "Henry M. Teller". Archives at Herrick Memorial Library. Alfred University. Retrieved March 2, 2012.