List of English Channel crossings by air
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a list of notable flights across the English Channel.
|7 January 1785||First crossing by air||Jean Pierre François Blanchard (France)
John Jeffries (US)
|15 June 1785||First air crash||Jean-François Pilâtre de Rozier (France)
Pierre Romain (France)
|combination hydrogen / hot-air balloon||Boulogne-Sur-Mer, France
|Balloon blown back over French soil and crashed, both killed|
|25 July 1909||First person to cross the channel in a heavier-than-air aircraft||Louis Blériot (France)||Blériot XI||Calais
|Encouraged by £1000 prize offered by the Daily Mail for first successful flight across the Channel. Flight time 37 minutes.|
|2 June 1910||First person to make a double crossing of the Channel in a heavier-than-air aircraft||Charles Stewart Rolls (UK)||Short Wright biplane||Swingfield Downs, Kent
|23 August 1910||First aircraft flight with passengers||John Moisant (US)||Blériot XI||Calais, France
|Passengers were mechanic Albert Fileux and Moisant's cat|
|16 April 1912||First woman to fly across the Channel||Harriet Quimby (US)||Blériot XI||Dover
A beach near Neufchâtel-Hardelot, France
|Flight time 59 minutes. Her accomplishment did not receive much media attention, as the RMS Titanic sank the evening before.|
|1915||First Airship crossing||A Zeppelin||Part of Germany's War effort against Britain and discontinued in 1918|
|18 September 1928||First flight across the Channel by autogyro||Juan de la Cierva (SPA)||Cierva C.8||Achieved as part of the first flight by autogyro between London and Paris.|
|19 June 1931||First crossing in a glider||Lissant Beardmore (UK)||Aero-tow from Lympne to an altitude of 14,000 feet (4,300 m)
Saint-Inglevert Airfield, Pas-de-Calais.
|6 September 1949||First helicopter crossing||Helmut Gerstenhauer||Focke-Achgelis Fa 223||Cherbourg
|Accompanied by two Royal Air Force observers|
|12 June 1979||First human-powered aircraft to cross the Channel||Bryan Allen (US)||Gossamer Albatross||Won a £100,000 Kremer Prize; Allen pedalled for three hours to propel the 55-pound (25 kg) aircraft|
|7 July 1981||First crossing by electric aircraft||Stephen Ptacek||Solar Challenger||Solar-powered|
|1981||First crossing by hybrid energy balloon||Julian Nott||Solar-powered lift|
|31 July 2003||Crossing in a 20-mile (32 km) long freefall||Felix Baumgartner (Austria)||wingsuit and a carbon fibre wing|
|26 September 2008||First crossing with a jetpack||Yves Rossy (Switzerland)||Crossing completed in less than ten minutes|
|6 August 2009||First crossing with an electric driven aircraft with onboard energy||Gerard Thevenot||Gerard Thevenot crossed the channel with his HYNOV, an electric driven trike aircraft with hydrogen as source of energy |
|28 May 2010||First crossing by helium balloon cluster||Jonathan Trappe (US)||Completed in 4 hours. He crossed the Channel dangling beneath a cloud of coloured helium balloons and controlled his altitude by cutting the balloons free one by one with a pair of scissors.|
|9 July 2015||First crossing by battery-powered electric aircraft||Hugues Duval||Colomban Cri-cri||Air-launched|
|9 July 2015||First battery-powered electric aircraft to takeoff and fly over the Channel||Didier Esteyne||Airbus E-Fan|
|16 February 2016||First Quadcopter Drone to fly across the Channel in a single flight.||Richard Gill||Enduro 1||Launch - Wissant
Land - Shakespeare Beach, Dover
|Drone launched from beach in France and flew back to UK. The total flight time was 78 minutes at an average speed of about 10 m/s. The flight was conducted with the approval of the French DGAC and British CAA.|
|14 June 2017||First crossing by flying car.||Bruno Vezzoli, Jérôme Dauffy||Pégase Mark II||From Ambleteuse (France)
To - East Studdal - Village near Dover (UK)
|Pegase developed by Vaylon company took off from France and flew to UK. Total flight time: 85 minutes Distance 72,5km which 33,3km over the channel.|
- "Blanchard, Jean-Pierre-François." Encyclopædia Britannica Online. Retrieved 17 October 2009.
- Humphreys, Roy (2001). Kent Aviation, a Century of Flight. Stroud: Sutton Publishing. p. 189. ISBN 0-7509-2790-9.
- "Channel Flight By Autogiro. Spanish Airman's Success". The Times (45002). London. 19 September 1928. col F, p. 14.
- "Channel Crossed by Glider". The Times (45854). London. 20 June 1931. col F, p. 12.
- Solar Balloon Takes Flight Over England
- "Pilot completes jetpack challenge". London: BBC. 26 September 2008. Retrieved 1 November 2008.
- "Man of La Manche". CAFE Foundation. Archived from the original on 13 July 2015. Retrieved 10 July 2015.
- American crosses Channel carried by helium balloons, The Guardian. Retrieved 28 May 2010
- "Did Duwal Beat Airbus Across the Channel?". AVweb. Retrieved 10 July 2015.
- Bertorelli, Paul. "Airbus' Asterisked Record". AVweb. Retrieved 10 July 2015.
- "British firm fly quadcopter over Channel for first time (Wired UK)". Wired UK. Retrieved 2016-03-19.
- "Frenchman flies a car to Dover".