List of Prime Ministers of Canada by date of death
This is a complete list of Canadian Prime Ministers by date of death. As of November 2015, there are seven living former Prime Ministers (John Turner, Jean Chrétien, Paul Martin, Brian Mulroney, Joe Clark, Kim Campbell and Stephen Harper, in order from oldest to youngest), as well as the incumbent Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
|Order of Death||Name||Date of
|Order of Office||Cause of death||Age at Death||Place of death
Place of burial
|1||John A. Macdonald||June 6, 1891||1||Stroke||76||Ottawa, Ontario
Cataraqui Cemetery, Kingston, Ontario
|2||Alexander Mackenzie||April 17, 1892||2||Stroke from a fall hitting his head||70||Toronto, Ontario
Lakeview Cemetery Sarnia, Ontario
|3||John Abbott||October 30, 1893||3||Brain cancer||72||Montreal, Quebec
Mount Royal Cemetery, Montreal, Quebec
|4||John Thompson||December 12, 1894||4||heart attack||49||Windsor Castle, England
Holy Cross Cemetery, Halifax, Nova Scotia
|5||Charles Tupper||October 30, 1915||6||Heart failure||94||Bexleyheath, Kent, England
St. John's Cemetery, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
|6||Mackenzie Bowell||December 10, 1917||5||Pneumonia||93||Belleville, Ontario
Belleville Cemetery, Belleville, Ontario
|7||Wilfrid Laurier||February 17, 1919||7||Stroke||77||Ottawa, Ontario
Notre Dame Cemetery, Ottawa, Ontario
|8||Robert Borden||June 10, 1937||8||Heart failure||82||Ottawa, Ontario
Beechwood Cemetery, Ottawa, Ontario
|9||R. B. Bennett||June 26, 1947||11||Heart attack while taking a bath||76||Mickleham, England
St. Michael's Churchyard, Mickleham, England
|10||W. L. Mackenzie King||July 22, 1950||10||Pneumonia||75||Chelsea, Quebec
Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Toronto
|11||Arthur Meighen||August 5, 1960||9||Heart failure||86||Toronto, Ontario
St. Marys Cemetery, St. Marys, Ontario
|12||Lester B. Pearson||December 27, 1972||14||Cancer||75||Ottawa, Ontario
MacLaren Cemetery, Wakefield, Quebec
|13||Louis St. Laurent||July 25, 1973||12||Heart failure||91||Quebec City, Quebec
St. Thomas Aquinas Cemetery, Compton, Quebec
|14||John Diefenbaker||August 16, 1979||13||Heart attack||83||Ottawa, Ontario
Diefenbaker Centre, University of Saskatchewan
|15||Pierre Trudeau||September 28, 2000||15||Parkinson's disease and prostate cancer||80||Montreal, Quebec
St-Remi-de-Napierville Cemetery, Saint-Rémi, Quebec
Date of Death by Day in Calendar Year
|Order||Prime Minister||Date of Death||Zodiac sign|
|1||Wilfrid Laurier||February 17||Aquarius|
|2||Alexander Mackenzie||April 17||Aries|
|3||John A. Macdonald||June 6||Gemini|
|4||Robert Borden||June 10|
|5||R.B. Bennett||June 26||Cancer|
|6||W.L. Mackenzie King||July 22|
|7||Louis St. Laurent||July 25||Leo|
|8||Arthur Meighen||August 5|
|9||John Diefenbaker||August 16|
|10||Pierre Trudeau||September 28||Libra|
|11/12||John Abbott||October 30||Scorpio|
|13||Mackenzie Bowell||December 10||Sagittarius|
|14||John Thompson||December 12|
|15||Lester B. Pearson||December 27||Capricorn|
Number of deaths by century
- 19th century
- 4 (first John A. Macdonald; last John Thompson)
- 20th century
- 11 (first Charles Tupper; last Pierre Trudeau)
- John A. Macdonald and John Thompson were the only Prime Ministers to die in office.
- Three Prime Ministers have died outside of Canada, all in Britain.
- Richard Bennett is the only PM to die and be buried outside of Canada.
- There has never been a year in which more than one Prime Minister has died.
- The closest time between the death of two Prime Ministers is the 210 days between the death of Lester B. Pearson on December 27, 1972, and Louis St. Laurent on July 25, 1973.
- The longest time between the death of two Prime Ministers is the 21 years and 43 days between the death of John Diefenbaker on August 16, 1979, and Pierre Trudeau on September 28, 2000.
- Only one day - October 30 - is the death day of more than one Prime Minister. John Abbott died October 30, 1893, and Charles Tupper died October 30, 1915.
- Wilfrid Laurier died earliest in the calendar year, on February 17, 1919. Lester B. Pearson died latest in the calendar year, on December 27, 1972.
- June and December have the largest amount of Prime Minister's death dates, with 3 each.
- Between the deaths of John A. Macdonald in 1891 and Pierre Trudeau in 2000, a Prime Minister has died in every decade except for the 1900s, 1920s, 1980s and 1990s.