List of museums and cultural institutions in Omaha, Nebraska
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- 1 Museums
- 2 Libraries
- 3 Festivals and fairs
- 4 Music, theater and performing arts
- 5 Not-for-profit and university galleries
- 6 References
- 7 See also
- The Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts, just east of Omaha's Old Market Historic District, was founded in the early 1980s and plays host to artists from all over the world. It is one of the nation's premier artists' colonies.
- Bemis was founded by Ree Kaneko, wife of famed Japanese American artist Jun Kaneko. They live in Omaha, and opened a museum called Kaneko in 2007.
Art (encyclopedic collection)
- The Joslyn Art Museum is nationally renowned for its collections of Native American art and art works relating to the early European exploration of western North America.
- Since its inception in 1976, Omaha Children's Museum has been a place where children can challenge themselves, discover how the world works and learn through play.
- Sokol South Omaha Czechoslovak Museum
- El Museo Latino celebrates the legacy, art and culture of Latin America, and is the first Latino art and history museum in Omaha.
- The Great Plains Black History Museum, celebrating the legacy of African Americans in Omaha and throughout the U.S. Midwest
- Henry and Dorothy Riekes Museum, located at the Omaha Jewish Community Center
- The Durham Museum is located on 10th Street in the art deco Union Station. The museum has numerous permanent exhibits and is accredited with the Smithsonian Institution for traveling exhibits from the Smithsonian.
Specialized and historical
- Bank of Florence Museum
- Batchelder Family Scout Museum
- Boys Town Hall of History
- Florence Depot
- Florence Mill
- Freedom Park Navy Museum
- The General Crook House Museum at Fort Omaha, exploring the role of the U.S. Army during the Indian Wars of the 1900s, is part of the Douglas County Historical Society.
- Gerald R. Ford Birthsite and Gardens
- Joslyn Castle
- Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail Headquarters and Visitor Center
- Mormon Trail Center
- Nebraska School for the Deaf Museum
- Omaha Black Music Hall of Fame
- Omaha Home for Boys Visitors Center History Museum
- Trinity Cathedral Historical Society
Festivals and fairs
Music, theater and performing arts
- Astro Theater
- CenturyLink Center Omaha
- Cog Factory
- Creighton Orpheum Theater
- Holland Performing Arts Center
- Omaha Civic Auditorium
- Omaha Community Playhouse
- Sokol Underground
Not-for-profit and university galleries
- Museums in Omaha, Nebraska. Nebraska Museums Association. Retrieved 10/8/11.
- "Nebraska Museums", Nebraska State Historical Society. Retrieved 10/8/11.
- (2006) Insight Omaha: The Art of it All Archived 2007-06-27 at the Wayback Machine.. Hemispheres Magazine. Retrieved 6/7/07.
- (nd) History Archived 2005-08-24 at the Wayback Machine.. The Rows at SoMa website. Retrieved 6/7/07.
- (nd) Smithsonian Affiliations. Smithsonian Institution. Retrieved 6/7/07.
- (nd) History Archived 2007-06-30 at the Wayback Machine.. Durham Western Heritage Museum. Retrieved 6/7/07.
- (nd) General Crook House Museum Archived 2007-08-13 at the Wayback Machine.. Douglas County Historical Society. Retrieved 6/9/07.