List of types of amber
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a list of types of amber.
- Baltic amber - the most common amber variety, found along the shores of a large part of the Baltic Sea.
- Black amber - aka Oltu stone, actually a type of jet (lignite) found in eastern Turkey.
- Burmese amber - also known as burmite, is a Cretaceous age amber up to 99 million years old found mainly in the Hukawng Valley, Kachin State, Myanmar (Burma). The most common amber containing insect inclusions of the Cenomanian.
- Dominican amber - nearly always transparent, and having a higher number of fossil inclusions than Baltic amber.
- Blue amber - a rare color variation, most commonly is found in the Dominican Republic.
- Mexican amber - found mainly in Chiapas in Mexico, roughly contemporary with Miocene era Dominican amber, and produced by the extinct Hymenaea mexicana tree, a relative of the Hymenaea protera tree responsible for producing Dominican Amber.
- New Jersey Amber - Found on the Atlantic coastal plain of North America, dated to the Cretaceous, Turonian.
- Sri lankan amber - found in sea coast in a very small quantity also called indian amber or indian sea amber .