|Born||1937 (age 78–79)
|Alma mater||Columbia University|
Lourdes Benería (born 1937) is a Spanish-American economist. She is Professor Emerita at Cornell University's Department of City and Regional Planning. The author and editor of many books and articles, her work has concentrated on topics having to do with labor economics, women's work, the informal economy, Gender and Development, Latin American Development. and globalization. Before Cornell, she taught at Rutgers University and has given courses in other international centers. She worked at the ILO for two years and has collaborated with other UN organizations, such as UNIFEM and UNDP, and with a several NGOs. She obtained her PhD at Columbia University in 1975.
She received the Narcis Monturiol prize for lifetime contributions to scientific work from the Ministry of Culture of the Catalan Government, Catalonia, Spain in 2002
- Benería, Lourdes; Stimpson, Catharine R. (1987). Women, households, and the economy. New Brunswick N.J: Rutgers University Press. ISBN 9780813512648.
- Benería, Lourdes (1982). Women and development - the sexual division of labor in rural societies: a study. New York, N.Y: Praeger. ISBN 9780030618024.
- Benería, Lourdes (1987). The crossroads of class & gender: industrial homework, subcontracting, and household dynamics in Mexico City. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. ISBN 9780226042329.
- Benería, Lourdes; Feldman, Shelley (1992). Unequal burden: economic crises, persistent poverty, and women's work. Boulder: Westview Press. ISBN 9780813382296.
- Benería, Lourdes; Bisnath, Savitri (2001). Gender and development: theoretical, empirical, and practical approaches. Cheltenham, UK Northampton, MA, USA: Edward Elgar Pub. ISBN 9781840641943.
- Benería, Lourdes (2003). Gender, development, and globalization: economics as if all people mattered. New York: Routledge. ISBN 9780415927079.
- Benería, Lourdes; Bisnath, Savitri (2004). Global tensions: challenges and opportunities in the world economy. New York: Routledge. ISBN 9780415934411.
- Benería, Lourdes; May, Ann Mari; Strassmann, Diana L (2011). Feminist economics. Cheltenham, UK Northampton, Massachusetts: Edward Elgar. ISBN 9781843765684.
Chapters in books
- Benería, Lourdes (2009), "From "harmony" to "cooperative conflicts": Amartya Sen's contribution to household theory", in Kanbur, Ravi; Basu, Kaushik, Arguments for a better world: essays in honor of Amartya Sen | Volume II: Society, institutions and development, Oxford New York: Oxford University Press, pp. 202–218, ISBN 9780199239979.
- Benería, Lourdes (November 1996). "Thou shalt not live by statistics alone, but it might help". Feminist Economics, special issue: In Honor of Margaret Reid. Taylor and Francis. 2 (3): 139–142. doi:10.1080/13545709610001707856.
- Benería, Lourdes (July 2008). "The crisis of care, international migration, and public policy". Feminist Economics. Taylor and Francis. 14 (3): 1–21. doi:10.1080/13545700802081984.
- "Guide to the Lourdes Benería Papers, 1974-2008.". Cornell University. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
|Non-profit organisation positions|
|President of the International Association for Feminist Economics
|This article about a Spanish economist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This feminism-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|