Lower Saxony Cup
|Region||Lower Saxony, Germany|
|Current champions||VfL Osnabrück (2016–17)|
|Most successful club(s)||VfL Osnabrück
Sportfreunde Salzgitter (4 titles)
The Lower Saxony Cup (German: Niedersächsischer Pokal) is an annual football cup competition, held by the Niedersächsischer Fußball-Verband (English: Lower Saxony Football Association) since 1956. For sponsorship reasons, the official name of the competition is Krombacher-Pokal. The Krombacher brewery, sponsor of the competition since 2010, also sponsored, at the time, the cup competitions in Thuringia, Westphalia, Hesse and Rhineland. It is one of the 21 regional cup competitions in Germany and a qualifying competition for the German Cup, with the winner and runners-uo of the competition being automatically qualified for the first round of the German Cup in the following season.
The competition is open for all member clubs of the Lower Saxony FA playing in the 3rd Liga, Regionalliga Nord and Niedersachsenliga. Additionally, the four regional cup winners in the state are also qualified. Reserve teams are not permitted to compete anymore. Regardless of which club has been drawn first, clubs from a lower league will always have home advantage when playing a club from a higher league. In case of a draw after regular time, no extra time is played and the game instead decided by a penalty shoot out. The two cup finalists automatically qualify for the first round of the German Cup.
The winners of the competition:
- ‡ Won by reserve team.
- 1 Known as Sportfreunde Lebenstedt before 1964.
- No competition held in 1979.
- Krombacher-Pokal Herren des NFV (German) Lower Saxony football association website, accessed: 30 June 2011
- Krombacher-Brauerei ist neuer Premium-Partner (German) Lower Saxony football association website, published: 21 December 2010, accessed: 1 July 2011
- DFB Cup Men - Mode Archived 2009-06-09 at the Wayback Machine. DFB website, accessed: 28 June 2011
- Ausschreibung Krombacher Pokal Herren des NFV 2010/11 (German) Lower Saxony football association website - competition rules, accessed: 1 July 2011
- Deutschlands Fußball in Zahlen, (German) An annual publication with tables and results from the Bundesliga to Verbandsliga/Landesliga, publisher: DSFS