Lunice in 2014
|Birth name||Lunice Fermin Pierre II|
|Also known as||Lunice, TNGHT|
May 15, 1988|
Montréal, Québec, Canada
|Genres||Instrumental hip hop, trap, bassline, electronic|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, record producer|
Lunice started as a b-boy, dancing competitively for the 701 Squad. In the early 2000s, Lunice was inspired to make his own music after hearing how producer 9th Wonder constructed beats on the computer program Fruity Loops.
In 2007, Lunice played his first gig at Hovatron's monthly Bass Culture in Montréal, where he met Sixtoo, and was invited to perform at the Megasoid parties. He has been a part of the Turbo Crunk crew ever since.
In 2008, Lunice released a video for Lazersword's "Gucci Sweatshirt". In 2010, he participated in the London installment of the Red Bull Music Academy. Also in the same year, Lunice performed at the Sonar Music Festival.
Lunice signed to LuckyMe for the release of two EPs, Stacker Upper (2010) and One Hunned (2011), and soon connected with producer Diplo and his Mad Decent label for a remix of Deerhunter's "Helicopter", which led to further collaborations on remixes, mixes for the likes of BBC Radio 1, and performances with the Mad Decent Block Party. In 2011, Lunice collaborated with Azealia Banks and was featured in her video for the song "212".
Since then, he has done work with such labels as XL Recordings, Warner Bros. Records, Palms Out Sounds, Young Turks, Big Dada, and Top Billin'. Throughout 2010 and 2011, Lunice toured internationally.
Lunice and Hudson Mohawke formed the group TNGHT, for the 2012 release of an EP on Warp Records/LuckyMe, following a successful headlining Warp's SXSW showcase earlier in the year. The duo met in 2008, when Lunice booked Hudson Mohawke to perform at one of his Turbo Crunk parties.
Lunice served as a judge for The 13th and 14th Annual Independent Music Awards in 2014 and 2015, and his contributions helped assist the careers of upcoming independent artists.
On June 1, 2017 LuckyMe announced on their Twitter page that Lunice had put the finishing touches on his debut album titled, CCCLX(360), that should be released later this fall. The Red Bull BC One World Finals, which is known as the world's premier breaking competition featured musical cuts from Lunice and fellow producer, The Alchemist. These tracks became available to stream in an EP titled, Moving Parts, that was released on November 16, 2017.
- 2017: CCCLX (360), LuckyMe
- 2011: Stacker Upper, LuckyMe
- 2011: One Hunned, LuckyMe
- 2017: Moving Parts (with The Alchemist), LuckyMe
- Charting singles
(with Hudson Mohawke as TNGHT)
*Did not appear in the official Belgian Ultratop 50 charts, but rather in the bubbling under Ultratip charts.
- 2011: "Get Her High", feat. 2lettaz & DaVinci [Southern Hospitality]
- 2011: "Bus Stop Jazz", with The Jealous Guys [Southern Hospitality]
- 2012: "Runnin'", Azealia Banks feat. Lunice
- 2014: "Can't Wait To" [LuckyMe]
- 2009: Matt B – "Cars Go Boom" (Lunice Remix) / Made in Glitch
- 2009: Xrabit & DMG$ – "Damaged Goods" (Lunice Remix) / Big Dada
- 2009: Thunderheist – "L.B.G." (Lunice Remix) / Big Dada
- 2009: The XX – "Basic Space" (Lunice Remix) / Young Turks / XL Recordings
- 2009: Hovatron – "Gold Star Radiation" (Lunice Remix) / Lo-Fi-Fnk
- 2009: Diamond K – "Handz in the Air" (Lunice Remix) / Top Billin
- 2010: Mexicans with Guns – "Sell Your Soul" (Lunice Remix) / FoF Music
- 2010: Ryan Leslie – "Addiction" (Lunice Remix) / Local Action Records
- 2010: Deerhunter – "Helicopter" (Diplo & Lunice Remix) / Mad Decent
- 2010: Invent & OSTR feat. KRS ONE – "Hey You" (Lunice Remix)
- 2010: Radio Radio – "EJ Savais Pas Mieux" (Lunice Remix) / Bonsound
- 2010: Elephant Man – "Shake It" (Lunice Remix) / Truckback Records
- 2011: The Touch – "All I Find" (Lunice Remix) / Palms Out Sounds
- 2011: XV – "Swervin'" (Lunice Remix) / Warner Bros. Records
- 2011: Theophilus London feat. Sara Quinn – "W.E.T." (Lunice Remix) / Warner Bros. Records
- 2011: Foster the People – "Pumped Up Kicks" (Lunice Remix) / Mad Decent
- 2012: Flosstradamus feat. Danny Brown – "From the Back" (Lunice Remix) / Fool's Gold Records
- 2013: Rockie Fresh feat. Lunice – "Superman OG" / Maybach Music Group
- 2013: Rockie Fresh feat. Rick Ross & Lunice – "Panera Bread" / Maybach Music Group
- 2006: Kibbles N Beats
- 2007: Bossa – Rendez Vous
- 2008: LAZERemix Volumeone
- 2008: Out of Touch
- 2009: LAZERemix Volumetwo
- 2009: DAZED Digital Lunice Exclusive Mix
- 2010: FACT Mix 189 – Lunice
- 2010: BIGUP Magazine Mix
- 2010: Loukout Mixtape #5: Lunice "Pretty Boy" Mixxx
- 2011: SAFEWALLS Mixtape
- 2011: Boiler Room Lunice's 60min Mix
- Fact Mix Fact Magazine, October 1, 2010
- Interview with Lunice MTV, December 2010
- Teh, Terrence. Lunice Exclusive Mix Dazed Digital, April 2010
- Fly, Monk & Powell, Anna. ‘Future Beats B-Boy On Blast Pulse, October 19, 2011
- Drake, David. Gen F The Fader, December 2011
- Lunice x LAZERSWORD NME, retrieved September 12, 2012
- Red Bull Music Academy, 2010 Red Bull, 2010
- Lunice Interview Electronic Beats, October 14, 2011
- Breihan, Tom. “Helicoptor” Pitchfork, September 29, 2010
- Radio 1 Mix BBC Radio 1
- Mad Decent Block Party Takes Over Brooklyn Rolling Stone, August 2012
- Lyons, Patrick. 212 The Fader, October 2011
- Interview: Lunice Lookout Presents, November 29, 2012
- Artists Scion AV
- Caramanica, Jon. New Releases The New York Times, July 29, 2012
- TNGHT Synth Glasgow, July 2012
- Dombal, Ryan. Rising: TNGHT Pitchfork, June 15, 2012
- "Lunice previews album with grinding new single "Mazerati" — listen". Consequence of Sound. 2017-06-02. Retrieved 2017-06-07.
- "Premiere: Lunice and The Alchemist Join Forces for New Song "Vibration"". Complex. Retrieved 2017-11-22.
- "Discografie Lunice". ultratop.be. Hung Medien.