Snowdrops in Lyneham
Lyneham shown within Wiltshire
|Population||4,945 (civil parish in 2011)|
|OS grid reference|
|Civil parish||Lyneham and Bradenstoke|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
|UK Parliament||North Wiltshire|
Lyneham is a large village in north Wiltshire, England, within the civil parish of Lyneham and Bradenstoke, and situated 4 miles (6.4 km) southwest of Royal Wootton Bassett, 5.5 miles (8.9 km) north of Calne and 11 miles (18 km) southwest of Swindon. The village is on the A3102 road between Calne and Wootton Bassett.
The former RAF Lyneham air force base (now MOD Lyneham) is at Lyneham. The RAF's C-130 Hercules fleet was based here until June 2011 and C-17 Globemasters from RAF Brize Norton made frequent visits. In 2012 all operations were transferred to Brize Norton in west Oxfordshire, 35 miles (56 km) to the northeast. Construction is underway to redevelop the base to house the proposed tri-forces Defence Technical Training College, which is scheduled to become operational in December 2015.
Lyneham has a primary school. Central Lyneham has a small shopping area including a Tesco Express and a Co-Operative minimarket. Also located in the village is a small selection of takeaways selling a range of fast food from pizza to fish'n'chips.
The civil parish elects a parish council called Lyneham and Bradenstoke Parish Council. The parish is in the area of Wiltshire Council unitary authority, which is responsible for all significant local government functions.
An electoral ward of the same name exists. The ward stretches south east from the Lyneham area to incorporate the Clyffe Pypard parish. The total ward population taken from the 2011 census was 5,460. 
- "Wiltshire Community History - Census". Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 4 March 2015.
- "Lyneham". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 4 March 2015.
- Lyneham Primary School
- "Church of St. Michael, Lyneham". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 4 March 2015.
- "Stained Glass Windows at St. Michael, Lyneham". www.stainedglassrecords.org. Retrieved 4 March 2015.
- "Parish Council". Lyneham & Bradenstoke parish. Retrieved 4 March 2015.
- "Ward population 2011.Retrieved 13 March 2015".
- "Victoria County History - Wiltshire - Vol 9, pp90-104 - Parishes: Lyneham". British History Online. University of London. Retrieved 4 March 2015.
Media related to Lyneham, Wiltshire at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about a location in Wiltshire is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|