MOFAT Diamond scandal
The MOFAT Diamond Scandal was exposed around early January 2012, in which the ambassador of South Korea's Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Kim Eun-seok, leaked an information on his illegal purchase of stocks of a mining firm called CNK International by falsifying information of a diamond reserve in Cameroon. This incident generated criticisms against the Lee Myung-bak government. The scope of the investigation later spread to other senior South Korean public officials.
Foreign Minister, Kim Sung-hwan, had denied any cover-up of this incident. The former vice-minister of the Ministry of Knowledge Economy and a close aide to the South Korean President Lee Myung-bak, Park Young-joon, was alleged in the involvement of the stock manipulation incident with Kim Eun-seok; later Park denies any allegation.
- The SPO raided the office of Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade on January 30; the first time in MOFAT's history to get raided by the national prosecutors' organization.
- The opposition Democratic United Party and the ruling Grand National Party under Park Geun-hye proposed to investigate this incident under the National Assembly conventions.
- Corruption in South Korea
- Prime Minister's Office Civilian Surveillance Incident
- 2008 Grand National Party Convention Bribery Incident
- Park, Si-soo (2012-01-18). "Cameroon diamond scandal snowballing". Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-01-28.
- Kim, Yoon-mi (2012-01-26). "Auditors demand sacking of energy envoy". Korean Herald. Retrieved 2012-01-28.
- Song, Sang-ho (2012-01-18). "Diplomat’s stock scandal spreads to other agencies". Korean Herald. Retrieved 2012-01-28.
- "FM parries attack over stock manipulation scandal". Yonhap News. 2012-01-27. Retrieved 2012-01-28.
- "FM parries attack over stock manipulation scandal". Korea Times. 2012-01-27. Retrieved 2012-01-28.
- Park, Si-soo (2012-01-27). "Lee's aide denies role in diamond scandal". Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-01-28.
- Lee, Hyo-sik (2012-01-30). "Foreign ministry raided over diamond". Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-02-03.
- Park, Si-soo (2012-01-19). "Opposition seeks House probe into diamond scandal". Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-02-03.