Rowman & Littlefield
|Founder||Walter Rowman and Arthur W. Littlefield|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Lanham, Maryland|
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group is an independent publishing house founded in 1949. Under several imprints, the company offers scholarly books and journals for the academic market, as well as trade books. Rowman & Littlefield is the world's largest publisher in museum studies.
The current company took shape when University Press of America acquired Rowman & Littlefield in 1988 and took the Rowman & Littlefield name for the parent company. Since 2013, there is also an affiliated company based in London, UK called Rowman & Littlefield International which is editorially independent and publishes only academic books in Philosophy, Politics & International Relations and Cultural Studies.
- Alban (acquired 2014 from the Alban Institute)
- AltaMira Press (acquired 1999 from SAGE Publications)
- Bernan Press (acquired 2008)
- Bonus Books
- Cowley Publications (acquired 2007 from the Society of St. John the Evangelist.)
- Down East Books (acquired 2013)
- Globe Pequot Press (acquired 2014 from Morris Communications)
- Government Institutes (acquired 2004)
- Hamilton Books (founded 2003)
- Ivan R. Dee, Publisher (acquired 1998)
- Jason Aronson (acquired 2003)
- Lexington Books (acquired 1998)
- M Evans & Co (acquired 2007)
- Newbridge Educational Publishing (acquired 2008 from Haights Cross)
- Rowman & Littlefield Education or R&L Education (formerly Technomic Books, acquired 1999)
- Rowman & Littlefield (acquired 1988 by UPA)
- Philip Turner Books (founded 2009)
- Scarecrow Press (acquired 1995)
- Taylor Trade (acquired 2001)
- Stackpole Books (acquired 2015)
- Sheed & Ward (founded in the 1920s in London by Frank Sheed and his wife, Maisie Ward, both prominent in the Catholic Action movement; acquired 2002 from the Priests of the Sacred Heart)
- SR Books (acquired 2004 from Scholarly Resources, Inc., of Wilmington, Delaware)
- Sundance Publishing (acquired 2008 from Haights Cross)
- University Press of America (founded 1975)
- The World Today Series (acquired 2011 from Stryker-Post Publications)
- Bucknell University Press
- Fairleigh Dickinson University Press
- Lehigh University Press
- University of Delaware Press
- Smithsonian Institution Scholarly Press
- C&T Publishing
- Rowman & Littlefield Buys Alban Institute Book Program
- Rosen, Judith (January 10, 2007). "Rowman & Littlefield Buys Cowley List". Publishers Weekly.
- "Rowman & Littlefield Buys Down East Book Assets". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Rowman & Littlefield Acquires Globe Pequot Press". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Rowman & Littlefield Acquires Gooseberry Patch". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2016-08-02.
- "M Evans & Co". Jacket Flap. Bel Air, Los Angeles: Inceptor Inc. Retrieved January 9, 2017.
- "PW: Roberts Rinehart Assets Sold To Court Wayne Press". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Rowman &Littlefield Makes Four Buys". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- Rowman & Littlefield Buys Stackpole Books
- "Rowman & Littlefield Buys Sheed & Ward". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- Slide, Anthony (September 2010). "A publishing phenomenon that begins and ends with Scarecrow Press". Film History. Indiana University Press. 22 (3): 298–308. doi:10.2979/fil.2010.22.3.298. JSTOR 10.2979/FIL.2010.22.3.298.