Make It with You
|"Make It with You"|
|Single by Bread|
|from the album On the Waters|
|B-side||"Why Do You Keep Me Waiting"|
|Bread singles chronology|
"Make It with You" is a song written by David Gates and originally recorded by the pop-rock group Bread, of which Gates was a member. Gates and drummer Mike Botts are the only members of the group to appear on the recording which was a #1 hit.
The song first appeared on Bread's 1970 album, On the Waters. Released as a single that June, it was the group's first top-ten hit on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart and spent the week of August 22, 1970, at number one, their only single to do so; it also reached #5 on the UK Singles Chart. Billboard ranked "Make It with You" as the No. 13 song of 1970, and it was certified gold by the RIAA for sales of over one million copies.
- David Gates - lead & harmony vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass, strings
- Mike Botts - drums
Notable cover versions
Many artists have recorded cover versions of "Make It with You." Among the most notable is:
- The Supremes recorded a version in 1971 that went unreleased for over 30 years.
- In 1971, a cover was included on Aretha Franklin's, Aretha Live at Fillmore West LP.
- Ralfi Pagan's Latin-soul version which reached number 32 on the Billboard R&B chart in the summer of 1971. Later on, this version was featured on the seventh East Side Story compilation.
- Cilla Black covered the song on her 1971 album Images.
- In 1992, The Pasadenas released a cover of the song as single, from their album Yours Sincerely.
- In the Philippines, it was covered by Martin Nievera from his album Forever Forever in 1999.
- It was also covered by Filipino pop singer Christian Bautista from his 1st live album, Just A Love Song: Christian Bautista Live! in 2007.
- It was also covered by Filipino indie folk/folk pop band, Ben&Ben in 2020 and used as a theme song in a TV Series of the same title.
- Dusty Springfield covered the song in 1971 for a planned album called "Faithful" which was to be released in the autumn of 1971 but was shelved due to two singles making no impact in the charts, however 44 years later "Faithful" was released.
- "Make It With You / Why Do You Keep Me Waiting - Bread". 45cat. Retrieved 2020-01-10.
- "Bread - Retrospective". Albumlinernotes.com. 1940-12-11. Retrieved 2016-10-03.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970-1992. St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Archived from the original on 2016-03-05. Retrieved 2016-10-03.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Make It with You". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved July 1, 2018.
- Flavour of New Zealand, 9 November 1970
- "Cash Box Top 100 8/15/70".
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Archived from the original on 2016-08-17. Retrieved 2016-10-03.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1970/Top 100 Songs of 1970". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-10-03.
- "Top 100 Year End Charts: 1970". Cashbox Magazine. Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- Joel Whitburn Top R&B Singles 1942 - 2004 ISBN 0-89820-160-8
- on YouTube