Imagination (The Whispers album)
|Studio album by The Whispers|
|Released||November 30, 1980|
|Recorded||July–October,1980 at Studio Masters, (Los Angeles, California)|
|Genre||Soul, Boogie, Funk, Disco, R&B|
|Producer||The Whispers, Dick Griffey, Leon Sylvers III|
|The Whispers chronology|
The album contains two singles which made the U.S. Hot R&B charts: "It's a Love Thing", which peaked at number two in early 1981; and "I Can Make it Better". Both singles were produced by SOLAR Records' main in-house producer Leon F. Sylvers III. Also featured in the album is "Up on Soul Train", the theme song used on the syndicated television series Soul Train from 1980 to 1983; it was composed by the creator, producer, and host of Soul Train, Don Cornelius.
The music video to the single "It's a Love Thing" is notable for having an early appearance from then-unknown actress Daphne Maxwell Reid. As of September 2016, the song appears in a L'Oreal commercial for Preference Mousse Absolue.
- "Imagination" (Larry White, Grady Wilkins) - 6:15
- "It's a Love Thing" (Dana Meyers, William Shelby) - 5:10
- "Say You (Would Love for Me Too)" (Nicholas Caldwell) - 5:03
- "Continental Shuffle" (Mark Adam Wood, Jr.) - 4:34
- "I Can Make It Better" (Meyers, Shelby, Stephen Shockley) - 7:14
- "Girl I Need You" (White, Wilkins) - 4:18
- "Up on Soul Train" (Don Cornelius) - 5:18
- "Fantasy" (Werner Schuchner, Ahaguna Sun) 4:21
- Wallace "Scotty" Scott, Walter Scott: lead vocals (tenor)
- Leaveil Degree (falsetto), Marcus Hutson (baritone): background vocals
- Nicholas Caldwell: background vocals (tenor), arranger, album concept
- Richard Aguon, Kirk Perkins, Wardell Potts Jr., Ahaguna Sun: drums
- Dean Boysen, Oscar Brashear, Bobby Bryant, John Parrish: trumpets
- Melvin Coleman, David Agent, Leon F. Sylvers III, Werner Schuchner: bass
- Emilio Conesa, Ernest "Pepper" Reed, Werner Schuchner, Stephen Shockley: guitar
- Albert DeGarcia, Joey Gallo, Kossi Gardner, Greg Phillinganes, William Shelby, Ricky Smith, Kevin Spencer, Grady Wilkins, Mark Adam Wood, Jr.: keyboards
- David Duke, Barbara Korn, Sidney Muldrew: French horns
- Fred Jackson, Ruben Laxamana, Sonny Lewis: saxophone
- Kraig Kilbey, Ross Wilson: trombones
- Melecio Megdaluyo: flute, saxophone
|Billboard Pop Albums||23|
|Billboard Top Soul Albums||3|
|1981||"I Can Make It Better"||105||40||4|
|"It's a Love Thing"||28||2||4|
- Lytle, Craig. The Whispers: Imagination > Review at AllMusic. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
- "The Whispers - It's A Love Thing Official Video". youtube.com. UnidiscMusic. Retrieved 2015-12-19.
- "The Whispers US albums chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-04-04.
- "The Whispers US singles chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-04-04.