Mandy in 2012
|Birth name||Amanda Michelle Jiroux|
|Born||Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.|
|Occupation(s)||Dancer, singer, DJ, actor|
|Associated acts||The Beach Girl5, Miley Cyrus|
Mandy Jiroux, born Amanda Michelle Jiroux, is an American singer, dancer, actor, choreographer, and DJ. She is known for co-developing The Miley and Mandy Show with Miley Cyrus, and for her popular dance tutorial YouTube channel.
Early and personal life
Jiroux's interest in dance and performance began at a young age. She was dancing competitively by the age of 3, and touring with professional choreographers throughout her school years. At the age of 13, she had thoughts of moving to Los Angeles to pursue dance professionally.
Choreography and backup dancing
From 2007 to 2008, Jiroux served as a backup dancer for Miley Cyrus on her Best of Both Worlds Tour, and the two girls became friends. In 2008, they began The Miley and Mandy Show on YouTube, and their videos quickly accumulated millions of views. During this period, Jiroux taught Cyrus how to twerk.
In April 2008, director Jon Chu and dancer Adam Sevani founded the ACDC Dance Cru and challenged Cyrus and Jiroux's "M&M Cru" to a YouTube dance competition. The two crews continued to release dance videos over the following months, accumulating millions of views, and culminating in a final televised dance battle at the 2008 Teen Choice Awards.
With the Beach Girl5
At Cyrus' suggestion, Jiroux applied to join the new all-girl group the Beach Girl5. She was accepted into the group, along with Brooke Allison, Noreen Juliano, Laura New and Dominique Domingo. Kris Jenner met with the group shortly after forming, and asked to become part of the band's management. The girls agreed. Jenner helped determine wardrobe and song choices, and included the band in several episodes of Keeping Up with the Kardashians. The group opened for Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez, and released an EP and several singles, produced by Rock Mafia, before disbanding.
After the Beach Girl5, Jiroux desired more creative control over her music and style. In a 2016 interview, she was quoted as saying:
To transition from dancer/choreographer to a singer is just a big dream of mine. When I was backup dancing for Miley Cyrus, I remember being backstage and watching her on stage, and being like, 'I want to do that.' So, to really put my dreams out there and just go for it is really just the most exciting thing. And to see it come to life I guess I was just proud, and it's really cool.
Jiroux continued her YouTube presence on her own channel dedicated to breaking down popular choreography into quick lessons. These videos have amassed millions of views, and her channel has over one million subscribers. In 2014, Jiroux partnered with YouTube musicians Chester See and Kurt Schneider to release a medley music video of Zedd songs.
That same year, Jiroux DJed and performed at the Milwaukee Summerfest, in a lineup that included DJ Cassidy and Arctic Monkeys. Also in 2014, Jiroux was featured on "Tonight", a track by Fagault & Marina. The song was later remixed by DJ and EDM producer Starkillers.
In 2015, Jiroux released the single "My Forever", under VarCity Productions, which was followed by "Fade Away" the next year, under Armada Music. Both tracks were collaborations with EDM duo REEZ.
In 2016, Jiroux was sued by members of the band Blind Melon over her song "Insane," which incorporated large section of Blind Melon's "No Rain." According to the lawsuit, Blind Melon's manager and guitarist were told by Mandy's manager that "Insane" was merely a cover of "No Rain," but upon discovering the liberties that "Insane" took with the original song, concluded that it was actually a "derivative work" under copyright law and consequently unauthorized. The lawsuit was settled between the parties the following year.
- Todd, Carolyn L. (3/24/16). Refinery29 – Revisiting The Miley & Mandy Show — & What The Hell Happened To Mandy. Refinery29.com. Retrieved 2 November 2016.
- Mastrogiannis, Nicole (8/11/16). iHeart Radio interview. Iheart.com. Retrieved 2 November 2016.
- Rabinovitch, Simona (12/11/14). Livingly – What's Her Secret: Mandy Jiroux. Livingly.com. Retrieved 2 November 2016.
- Borders, Lindsey (11/18/15). Successful YouTube personality Mandy Jiroux chats debut album and dance. Axs.com. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- Garret Alan on IMDB. IMDB.com. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- Williams, Candace (4/15/09). Miley Cyrus’ BFF Mandy Jiroux: Our Age Difference Is NOT an Issue (but I AM a Better Burper Than She Is). blog.blogtalkradio.com. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- Maycock, Selina (9/26/14). ‘I didn’t get to sing or wear what I wanted when I was in Kris Jenner’s girl group’ says Miley Cyrus’ BFF Mandy. lifestyle.one. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- (6/25/10). It’s a Bird! It’s a Plane! No, It’s a Superdancer!. nytimes.com. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- Watercutter, Angela (8/04/08). M&M Cru, ACDC Take YouTube Dance Battle to Prime Time. wired.com. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- (9/27/10). Five Things You Need to Know About BG5. celebuzz.com. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- Van De Wall, Virginia (6/12/14). Find Out What Mandy Jiroux From the 'Miley and Mandy Show' Is Doing Now. J-14.com. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- (7/05/14). Complete Summerfest 2014 schedule. jsonline.com. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- (7/16/14). after performance at summerfest, mandy jiroux prepares new releases. tapsongz.com. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- (7/29/14). Starkillers Premiere Remix of “Tonight” by Fagault & Marina ft. Mandy Jiroux. http://www.thatdrop.com/starkillers-premiere-remix-tonight-fagault-marina-ft-mandy-jiroux/. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- (7/17/15). Mandy Jiroux ft. Reez – My Forever. powerhousemusic.nl. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- (1/18/16). REEZ TEAMS UP WITH MANDY JIROUX. housem.nl. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- Blind Melon Sues "Insane" Songwriters for Covering Up 'No Rain' Infringement, The Hollywood Reporter (Aug. 30, 2016)
- Blind Melon Settles "Insane" Copyright Lawsuit, The Hollywood Reporter (Feb. 9, 2017)