Kris Jenner in 2014
|Born||Kristen Mary Houghton
November 5, 1955
San Diego, California, U.S.
|Other names||Kris Houghton
|Education||Clairemont High School|
|Television||Keeping Up with the Kardashians|
|Spouse(s)||Robert Kardashian (m. 1978; div. 1991)
Bruce Jenner (m. 1991; div. 2015)
Kristen Mary Jenner (née Houghton, // HOH-tən, formerly Kardashian; born November 5, 1955) is an American television personality who rose to fame for starring in the reality television series Keeping Up with the Kardashians, together with her family.
Kris Jenner has been married twice; first to lawyer Robert Kardashian, and later to television personality and retired Olympic Games champion, Bruce Jenner (now known as Caitlyn). She has four children with Kardashian (Kourtney, Kim, Khloé and Robert) and two with Jenner (Kendall and Kylie).
Jenner was born in San Diego, California. She is the daughter of Mary Jo Shannon (née Campbell) and Robert Houghton, an engineer. She is of Dutch, English, Irish, German and Scottish descent. When Jenner was seven years old, her parents divorced and she and her younger sister, Karen, were raised by their mother until a few years later when her mother married businessman Harry Shannon. Three months after moving to Oxnard, California, Shannon's business partner allegedly left with all the company's capital, so the family moved back to San Diego. Jenner attended Clairemont High School and graduated in 1973. She worked as a flight attendant for a year in 1976.
Jenner runs her own production company, Jenner Communications, which is based in Los Angeles. Since the start of Keeping Up with the Kardashians, she has managed her daughter Kim's career. She also is involved with the business management of her other daughters and son.
Jenner's autobiography, Kris Jenner... and All Things Kardashian, was released in November 2011. She later wrote a cookbook entitled In the Kitchen with Kris: A Kollection of Kardashian-Jenner Family Favorites which was released in October 2014.
Keeping Up with the Kardashians
Jenner met with Ryan Seacrest in 2007 to pursue a reality television show based on her family. Seacrest, who had his own production company, decided to develop the idea, having the popular family-based show The Osbournes in his mind. Jenner further commented on the possible series:
|“||Like, there's the little girls, and there's the older girls, and then there's my son. [...] Everybody thinks that they could create a bunch of drama in their lives, but it's something that I felt I didn't even have to think about. It would be natural.||”|
The show eventually was picked up to air on the E! cable network with Jenner acting as the executive producer. The series focuses on the personal and professional lives of the Kardashian–Jenner blended families. The series debuted on October 14, 2007, and has later become one of the longest-running reality television shows in the country. The twelfth season of Keeping Up with the Kardashians started airing on May 1, 2016. The show has resulted in the development of several spin-offs, such as Kourtney and Khloé Take Miami (2009), Kourtney and Kim Take New York (2011), Khloé & Lamar (2011), among others.
Marriages, relationships, and children
Jenner's first marriage was to lawyer Robert Kardashian (who later became widely known for his early legal representation of O. J. Simpson) on July 8, 1978. They have four children - daughters Kourtney (born 1979), Kim (born 1980), Khloé (born 1984), and son Rob (born 1987) - and divorced in March 1991, but remained close friends until his death from esophageal cancer in 2003. In 2012, Kris confessed she had had an affair with former soccer player and animator Todd Waterman during her marriage to Kardashian. She referred to Waterman as "Ryan" in her autobiography, but he revealed his identity on his own. They had an encounter on Keeping up with the Kardashians while Kris was having a tennis lesson.
In April 1991, one month after her divorce from Kardashian, Jenner married her second spouse, retired Olympian Bruce Jenner, who completed her transition to a woman in mid-2015, taking the name Caitlyn. They have two daughters together: Kendall (born 1995) and Kylie (born 1997); in her autobiography, Jenner explained that she named her daughter Kendall Nicole after the late Nicole Brown Simpson. By marriage to Bruce, Kris also had four stepchildren: Burt, Cassandra "Casey", Brandon and Brody.
The Jenners announced their separation in October 2013, and on September 22, 2014, she filed for divorce, citing irreconcilable differences. The divorce became final on March 23, 2015, because of a six-month state legal requirement. Kris Jenner has talked about the breakup with Bruce as "the most passive-aggressive thing", saying that while she had known of his use of hormones in the 1980s, "there wasn't a gender issue. Nobody mentioned a gender issue."
Since late 2014, Jenner has been in a relationship with Corey Gamble.
O. J. Simpson trial
Jenner and her family suffered emotional turmoil during the O. J. Simpson trial (1994-1995), later described as the "Trial of the Century." Jenner was good friends with O.J.'s ex-wife, Nicole Brown, and Jenner's first husband, Robert Kardashian, was one of O.J. Simpson's "Dream Team" of defense lawyers during the trial.
California Community Church
In June 2011, Jenner had a face lift months before her daughter Kim's wedding to Kris Humphries and allowed the preparations and recovery from the surgery to be recorded. The video footage can be seen on E! Online and "Kim's Fairytale Wedding Part 1" episode of Keeping Up with the Kardashians. She explained: "I needed a little freshening up for the wedding. Just doing what a girl's gotta do!"
- "Kristen Mary Houghton, born 11/5/1955". California Birth Index. Retrieved April 29, 2015.
- "Houghton Surname Project". Ancestry.com. Retrieved October 17, 2013.
- Stated in Kris Jenner... and All Things Kardashian, 2011
- "Kris Jenner bio". wetpaint.com.
- "Famous Clairemont High School Alumni". January 6, 2015. Retrieved February 16, 2016.
- "Kris Jenner". Biography.com. Retrieved April 5, 2016.
- "What Did Kris Jenner Do Before She Got Famous?". February 20, 2012. Retrieved February 16, 2016.
- Jenner, Kris (2011). Kris Jenner... and All Things Kardashian. New York: Gallery Books and Karen Hunter Publishing. pp. 257–260. ISBN 9781451646962.
- Bustillo, Deena (January 12, 2009). "Smooch by Kardashians: Out of Business". Zimbio. Retrieved April 3, 2016.
- Brissey, Breia (November 1, 2011). "Kris Jenner shares details on her relationship with Nicole Brown Simpson in new memoir". Entertainment Weekly. Time Inc. Retrieved November 4, 2015.
- Hoffman, Lauren (October 22, 2014). "The 10 Most Wonderfully Absurd Moments in Kris Jenner's Cookbook". Cosmopolitan. Hearst Corporation.
- Andreeva, Nellie (April 18, 2013). "Kris Jenner's Syndicated Talk Show Gets Premiere Date, Executive Producer". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 11, 2013.
- "Kris Jenner's show cancelled, even with ratings stunt unveiling of Kanye & Kim's baby". New York Post. News Corp. August 28, 2013. Retrieved August 28, 2013.
- Brodesser-Akner, Taffy (May 8, 2015). "Where Would the Kardashians Be Without Kris Jenner?". The New York Times. Retrieved December 25, 2015.
- Miller, Michael (February 27, 2015). "Kardashians Ink $100 Million Mega-Deal with E!". Time. Retrieved December 22, 2016.
- Cohen, Jess (February 26, 2016). "The Keeping Up With the Kardashians Season 12 Promo Is All About Family: We'll Do Anything for Each Other—Watch Now!". E! Online. Retrieved December 22, 2016.
- Ghahremani, Tanya (August 13, 2013). "The Worst People in Reality TV History". Complex. Retrieved December 22, 2016.
- Stated on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, November 8, 2011
- "Kris Jenner and Robert Kardashian on June 27, 1984 and Robert Kardashian, Jr. on March 17, 1987.". Archived from the original on September 26, 2011.
- "Robert Kardashian, a Lawyer For O. J. Simpson, Dies at 59", The New York Times, October 2, 2003.
- Evans, Julie Ryan (June 17, 2012). "'Keeping Up With the Kardashians' Recap: Kris Jenner Has No Business Meeting Up With Todd Waterman". CafeMom.com. Retrieved February 16, 2016.
- Staff (October 8, 2013). "Celebrity News Kris and Bruce Jenner confirm they separated a year ago" (Online). Fox News Channel. Associated Press. Retrieved September 23, 2014.
- Kris Kardashian Biography. Buddytv.com. Retrieved September 6, 2011.
- "Kris Jenner shares details on her relationship with Nicole Brown Simpson in new memoir". Entertainment Weekly; November 1, 2011.
- Baker, Ken; Finn, Natalie (October 8, 2013). "Kris Jenner and Bruce Jenner are Separated, 'Much Happier' Living Apart". E! Online. NBCUniversal. Retrieved October 8, 2013.
- Takeda, Allison. "Kris Jenner, Bruce Jenner 23 Years of Marriage: 'I Will Always Love Him'".[dead link]
- Esther Lee and Alli Rosenbloom. "Kris Jenner files for divorce from husband Bruce Jenner". Today.
- Bacardi, Francesca (December 18, 2014). "Kris Jenner and Bruce Jenner's Divorce Finalized". E! Online. NBCUniversal. Retrieved January 29, 2015.
- "Kris Jenner and Bruce Jenner's Divorce Finalized on Kardashians". E! Online. NBCUniversal. May 4, 2015. Retrieved May 13, 2015.
- Bolton, Doug. "Kris Jenner on Caitlyn Jenner's transition: 'Why would you not explain all this to me?'". The Independent. Retrieved June 15, 2015.
- "Kris Jenner Gets Cozy with a New Man in Las Vegas". PEOPLE.com. Retrieved December 21, 2015.
- Jenner, Kris (2011). Kris Jenner... And All Things Kardashian. New York, NY: Gallery Books and Karen Hunter Publishing. pp. 145–165. ISBN 9781451646962.
- "American Crime Story". IMDb. Retrieved April 5, 2016.
- Hyde, Marina (April 10, 2014). "Worship with Kim and the Kardashians". The Guardian. Retrieved July 23, 2015.
- "Kris Jenner talks about facelift". Yahoo!. Archived from the original on August 11, 2011. Retrieved July 22, 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kris Jenner.|