Marama, South Australia
|Population||62 (2016 census)|
|Established||23 August 1917 (town)|
11 November 1999 (locality)
|Time zone||ACST (UTC+9:30)|
|• Summer (DST)||ACDT (UTC+10:30)|
|LGA(s)||District Council of Karoonda East Murray|
|Region||Murray and Mallee|
Marama is a town and a locality in the Australian state of South Australia located in the state's south-east about 146 kilometres (91 mi) east of the state capital of Adelaide and about 28 kilometres (17 mi) east of the municipal seat of Karoonda.
The government town of Marama was proclaimed on 23 August 1917 on land in the cadastral unit of the Hundred of Molineux located to the immediate south of the Marama Railway Station. The town was named after the railway station which was a stop on the now-closed Peebinga railway line and whose name is derived from an aboriginal word mean “black duck.” The locality 's boundaries were created on 11 November 1999 and includes the site of the government town of Marama which is located in its approximate centre.
The town was established as a station on the Peebinga railway line (now closed) and is now on the Karoonda to Lameroo road. There is a town hall, post office and an automated telephone exchange.
- "Search results for 'Marama, LOCB' with the following datasets being selected - 'Suburbs and Localities', 'Government Towns', 'Counties', 'Local Government Areas', 'SA Government Regions' and 'Gazetteer'". Location SA Map Viewer. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Marama". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- Peak, A. H. (23 August 1917). "TOWN OF MARAMA" (PDF). The South Australian Government Gazette. Government of South Australia: 480. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- Kentish, P.M. (11 November 1999). "GEOGRAPHICAL NAMES ACT 1991 Notice to Assign Boundaries to Places (in the District Council of Karoonda East Murray)" (PDF). The South Australian Government Gazette. South Australian Government. p. 2321. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- "Postcode for Marama, South Australia". Postcodes Australia. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- "District of Hammond (map)". Electoral Commission SA. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Federal electoral division of Barker, boundary gazetted 16 December 2011" (PDF). Australian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "Summary (climate) statistics KAROONDA (nearest weather station)". Commonwealth of Australia, Bureau of Meteorology. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "NAMES OF RAILWAY STATIONS". The Register (Adelaide). LXXX, (21, 331). South Australia. 24 March 1915. p. 4. Retrieved 5 May 2018 – via National Library of Australia.