|Education||BA (Economics), MBA, DPhil (Economics)|
|Alma mater||University of Oxford, Université libre de Bruxelles|
|Organization||IE Business School, European Corporate Governance Institute|
|Known for||Corporate governance, corporate finance|
Marc Goergen, originally from Luxembourg, is a professor of finance at IE Business School in Madrid. He specialises in corporate governance and corporate finance. Marc Goergen is the author of numerous academic articles, book chapters and several books on corporate governance, including a successful textbook on "International Corporate Governance". The second updated version of this corporate governance textbook was published in 2018 by Cengage Learning EMEA under the title Corporate Governance. A Global Perspective.
His articles have appeared in The Journal of Finance, the Journal of Financial Intermediation, the Journal of Corporate Finance, the Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Industrial Relations - A Journal of Economy and Society as well as others.
Goergen has held a chair in finance at Cardiff Business School from 2009 to 2018 before joining IE Business School. Other previous appointments include the University of Manchester, UMIST (University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology), the University of Reading and the University of Sheffield. He holds a DPhil in Economics from Keble College of the University of Oxford and a Licence en Sciences Economiques from the Université libre de Bruxelles (ULB).
Goergen is an Associate Editor of the Journal Corporate Finance, European Financial Management, the British Journal of Management and the European Journal of Finance, as well as an Editorial Board Member of the Journal of Management and Governance, the Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, and the International Journal of Corporate Governance.
Key journal articles
- Chen, J., Leung, W.S. and M. Goergen (2017), ‘The Impact of Board Gender Composition on Dividend Payouts’, Journal of Corporate Finance 43, 86-105.
- Goergen, M., O’Sullivan, N. and G. Wood (2014), ‘The Employment Consequences of Private Equity Acquisitions: The Case of Institutional Buy-Outs’, European Economic Review 71, 67-79.
- Chahine, S. and M. Goergen (2013), ‘The Effects of Management-Board Ties on IPO Performance’, Journal of Corporate Finance 21 (June), 153-179.
- Goergen, M., Brewster, C., Wood, G. and A. Wilkinson (2012), ‘Varieties of Capitalism and Investments in Human Capital’, Industrial Relations – A Journal of Economy & Society 52 (S1), 501-527.
- Goergen, M. and L. Renneboog (2008), ‘Contractual Corporate Governance’, Journal of Corporate Finance 14 (3), 166-182.
- Abdallah, W. and M. Goergen (2008), ‘Does Corporate Control Determine the Cross-listing Location?’, Journal of Corporate Finance 14 (3), 183-199.
- Fidrmuc, J., Goergen, M. and L. Renneboog (2006), ‘Insider Trading, News Releases and Ownership Concentration’, Journal of Finance 61 (6), 2931-2973.
- Goergen, M., Renneboog, L. and A. Khurshed (2006), ‘Explaining the Diversity in Shareholder Lockup Agreements’, Journal of Financial Intermediation 15 (2), 254-280.
- Goergen, M., Martynova, M. and L. Renneboog (2005), ‘Corporate Governance Convergence: Evidence from Takeover Regulation Reforms in Europe’, Oxford Review of Economic Policy 21 (2), 243-268.
- Goergen, M., Renneboog, L. and L. Correia da Silva (2005), ‘When Do German Firms Change their Dividends?’, Journal of Corporate Finance 11 (1&2), 375-399.
- Goergen, M. and L. Renneboog (2004), ‘Shareholder Wealth Effects of European Domestic and Cross-border Takeover Bids’, European Financial Management 10 (1), 9-45.
- Goergen, M. and L. Renneboog (2003), ‘Why are the Levels of Control (So) Different in German and UK Companies? Evidence from Initial Public Offerings’, Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization 19 (1), 141-175.
- Goergen, M. and L. Renneboog (2001), ‘Investment Policy, Internal Financing and Ownership Concentration’, Journal of Corporate Finance 7 (2), 257-284.
- Goergen, M. (2018), Corporate Governance. A Global Perspective, Andover: Cengage Learning EMEA.
- Goergen M. (2012), International Corporate Governance, Harlow: Pearson Education Prentice Hall, 336 p.
- Goergen, M., Mallin, C., Mitleton-Kelly, E., Al-Hawamdeh, A. and I. Chiu (2010), Corporate Governance and Complexity Theory, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 133+ix p.
- Correia da Silva, L., Goergen, M. and L. Renneboog (2004), Dividend Policy and Corporate Governance, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 185+xiv p. Translated into Chinese: Gu Li Zheng Ce Yu Gong Si Zhi Li, Beijing: Peking University Press, 2006.
- Goergen, M. (1998), Corporate Governance and Financial Performance: A Study of German and UK Initial Public Offerings, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing, 183+xii p.
- "Student Resources". Pearson Education. 2010-01-06. Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- Goergen, Mark (2018). Corporate Governance: A Global Perspective. Cengage Learning EMEA. ISBN 9781473759176.
- "Biography of Professor Marc Goergen". Ecgi.org. Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- Biography of Professor Marc Goergen.
- Journal of Corporate Finance Editorial Board. Elsevier.
- "Wiley: Home". wiley.com.
- "British Journal of Management - Editorial Board". Wiley. doi:10.1111/(ISSN)1467-8551.
- "European Journal of Finance". Taylor & Francis.
- "Journal of Management & Governance". Springer.
- "International Journal of Corporate Governance". Inderscience.