Marching to Mars
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Marching to Mars|
|Studio album by Sammy Hagar|
|Released||May 20, 1997|
|Producer||Mike Clink, Mickey Hart|
|Sammy Hagar chronology|
Marching to Mars is Sammy Hagar's first post-Van Halen solo album. It is his tenth solo studio album. It features various musicians on different songs. It was released on MCA Records, which had by that point acquired his former label, Geffen Records. "Little White Lie" was a major mainstream rock hit, topping the mainstream rock tracks chart for five weeks.
- "Leaving The Warmth Of The Womb" amounted to a Montrose reunion. The sessions also had a rerecording of the Montrose classic, "Rock Candy", which can be found on the CD single release of "Little White Lie".
- "Kama" is described by Hagar as the Sanskrit translation of "love". It was written for his daughter, whom he had given the word as a name.
- Written while Hagar was still in Van Halen, "Amnesty Is Granted" was previously recorded by Meat Loaf for his album Welcome to the Neighborhood. Hagar played guitar and sang backing vocals on that version. According to Hagar's autobiography, he wrote the song about being able to be with his newfound love away from his ex-wife Betsy.
- "Salvation On Sand Hill" is co-written by Brother Cane's vocalist/lyricist/guitarist Damon Johnson who says, "...Sammy was inspired to write those lyrics after I showed him a book I had been reading: Salvation on Sand Mountain, which is about the worship rituals of some churches in Northeast Alabama..." 
- "Little White Lie" (featuring Slash) (Sammy Hagar) – 2:54
- "Salvation on Sand Hill" (Hagar/Damon Johnson) – 5:01
- "Who Has the Right?" (Craig Chaquico/Hagar/Jesse Harms) – 5:20
- "Would You Do It for Free?" (Hagar/Harms) – 4:30
- "Leaving the Warmth of the Womb" (Hagar) – 5:06
- "Kama" (featuring Matt Sorum) (Hagar/Harms) – 5:20
- "On the Other Hand" (Hagar) – 2:42
- "Both Sides Now" (Hagar/Harms) – 4:27
- "The Yogi's So High (I'm Stoned)" (Hagar) – 6:02
- "Amnesty Is Granted" (Hagar) – 4:23
- "Marching to Mars" (Hagar/Mickey Hart) – 5:09
Japanese release bonus tracks
- "Ether" (Hagar/Harms) – 1:09
- "Wash Me Down Again" (Hagar/Harms) – 6:05
- "Little White Lie" US (Track Factory TRK5P-3964)
- "Little White Lie" b/w "Rock Candy" Japan (MCA Victor MVCE-9002)
- "Little White Lie" b/w "Rock Candy" b/w "Ether" Europe (Track Factory TRD 49036)
- "Both Sides Now" (Radio Edit) b/w "Both Sides Now" (Album version) US (Track Factory TRK5P-90091)
- "Both Sides Now" (Radio Edit) US (GKS Entertainment 8125)
- "Marching To Mars" (Radio Edit) b/w "Marching To Mars" (Album version) US (Track Factory TRK5P-4011)
- "On The Other Hand" b/w "Right Now" (live) US (Track Factory TRK5P-4158)
- "Kama" (Radio Edit) b/w "Kama" (Album version) Asia (MCA TRK5P-4095)
Little White Lie
Salvation On Sand Hill
Who Has The Right?
Would You Do It For Free?
Leaving The Warmth of the Womb
On The Other Hand
Both Sides Now
The Yogi's So High (I'm Stoned)
Amnesty Is Granted
Marching To Mars
- MCA Victor (Japan) : MVCE 240 10
- Track Factory (Europe) : TRD 11627
- Track Factory/MCA Records (Canada) : TRKSD 11627
- "HM – Internet Exclusives". Hmmagazine.com. Retrieved 2012-03-01.
Lyrics from Sammy's official site link