Mario Rafael Rodríguez
|Full name||Mario Rafael Rodríguez Rodríguez|
|Date of birth||September 14, 1981|
|Place of birth||Guatemala City, Guatemala|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Playing position||striker/right winger|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 14 March 2010.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 7 September 2013
Rodríguez, nicknamed El Loco (Spanish for The Crazy Man), started his career in Guatemala in 2002 with Comunicaciones, where he would remain until 2004. In February 2004 during the 211th clasico between longtime arch-rivals Municipal and Comunicaciones, he collided with goalkeeper Danny Ortiz causing Ortiz to suffer a torn pericardium. Ortiz was taken to the Hospital Centro Médico where he died two hours later.
In 2005, he joined Columbus Crew from Costa Rican side Alajuelense, and in 2006, he played for Miami FC, and with 7 goals and 4 assists he was second in scoring for the club behind Brazilian forward Romário. He returned to Guatemala to play for Municipal for the 2007 Clausura.
He has been productive for Municipal. But despite being the top scorer on the team since joining, he hasn't always had the best relationship with Municipal fans because of his past with rivals Comunicaciones.
Rodríguez made his international debut in a January 2003 friendly match against El Salvador and has since been capped over 70 times for his country. He represented his country in 19 FIFA World Cup qualification matches as well as at the 2003 and 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cups.
In 2006, Rodríguez was recalled by Guatemala national coach Hernán Darío Gómez to play against Haiti. He scored a goal and then was recalled for a friendly in Guatemala City against Panama. He made his return to the national squad for the 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign, scoring three goals in the first two matches, against Saint Vincent and the Grenadines.
- Scores and results list. Guatemala's goal tally first.
- Revolution face familiar Crew - Boston.com
- Mario Rodríguez desea salir de Municipal - La Red Deportiva (Spanish)
- Mario Rodríguez jugará en Corea - La Red Deportiva (Spanish)
- Mario Rodríguez se unió al rojo - La Red Deportiva (Spanish)
- Appearances for Guatemala National Team - RSSSF
- Record at FIFA Tournaments - FIFA
- CONCACAF Championship, Gold Cup 2003 - Full Details - RSSSF
- CONCACAF Championship, Gold Cup 2007 - Full Details - RSSSF