Mark Norman (RCN officer)
Norman meeting CNO Greenert
|Service/branch||Royal Canadian Navy|
|Years of service||1980–present|
|Commands held||HMCS St. John's
Canadian Fleet – Atlantic
|Awards||Commander of the Order of Military Merit
Canadian Forces Decoration
US Legion of Merit (Commander)
Vice-Admiral Mark A. G. Norman CMM CD is a Royal Canadian Navy officer. On August 5, 2016 he assumed the appointment of Vice Chief of the Defence Staff of Canada, but was temporarily relieved from the post on January 16, 2017.
Educated in Queen's University, Norman joined the Naval Reserve in 1980 as a diesel mechanic before transferring to the regular force in 1985 as a Sub-lieutenant. He became Commanding Officer of the frigate HMCS St. John's. He went on to be Assistant Chief of Transformation in 2005, Director General Strategy, Chief Force Development in 2007 and Commander Canadian Fleet – Atlantic in 2009. He then became Director General Maritime Force Development in 2010 and Assistant Chief of the Naval Staff and Deputy Commander of the Royal Canadian Navy in June 2011 before becoming Commander of the Royal Canadian Navy in June 2013. In January 2016, it was announced he was to be appointed as Vice Chief of the Defence Staff of the Canadian Armed Forces. His successor as Commander of the Royal Canadian Navy was Rear-Admiral Ron Lloyd. On 13 January 2017, Norman was temporarily relieved of his post as Vice Chief of Defence Staff by Gen Jonathan Vance, Chief of the Defence Staff. According to The Globe and Mail's Robert Fife, the removal was over an investigation into whether Norman had leaked sensitive documents. Norman was replaced on a temporary basis by Vice-Admiral Ron Lloyd, the commander of the navy.
Awards and Decorations
Norman's personal decorations include the following:
- Order of Military Merit
- Special Service Medal
- Canadian Peacekeeping Service Medal
- NATO Medal for the former Yugoslavia
- Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Medal
- Canadian Forces Decoration with two bars
- Commander of the Legion of Merit (United States)
- Vice-Admiral Mark Norman becomes Canada's new Vice Chief of the Defence Staff Government of Canada News Release, 5 August 2016
- Brewster, Murray (16 January 2017). "Mark Norman, outspoken military vice-chief, relieved of duty without explanation". CBC.ca. Retrieved 16 January 2017.
- Commander of the RCN Royal Canadian Navy
- Down to the sea in ships, m’lads . . . Archived 2013-12-23 at the Wayback Machine. Queen's Alumni Review, 2009
- Vice Admiral Mark Norman assumes command of the Royal Canadian Navy Daily Observer, June 2013
- Tasker, John Paul (19 January 2016). "Top ranks of Canadian Forces get shake-up with new army, navy commanders". CBC News. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- Campion-Smith, Bruce (16 January 2017). "Top Canadian military commander Mark Norman relieved of post". The Toronto Star. Retrieved 16 January 2017.
- Fife, Robert; Chase, Steven (January 16, 2017). "RCMP investigation into alleged leaks prompts Canadian Forces vice-chief's removal". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved January 17, 2017.
- Media related to Mark Norman (admiral) at Wikimedia Commons
|Commander of the Royal Canadian Navy
|Vice Chief of the Defence Staff