|Born||July 16, 1959|
New York City, United States
|Alma mater||Williams College, Harvard Business School|
|Spouse(s)||Fiona Wood (divorced; 3 children)|
Lisa Belzberg (divorced; 3 children)
Stacey Kaye (divorced; 1 child)
Melanie Lavie (2 children)
|Parent(s)||Edgar Bronfman, Sr.|
Ann Loeb Bronfman
|Relatives|| Samuel Bronfman (grandfather)|
John Langeloth Loeb Sr. (grandfather)
Nicholas M. Loeb (cousin)
Matthew Bronfman (born July 16, 1959) is an American businessman, entrepreneur and philanthropist. A member of the Bronfman family, he is the son of prominent businessman and philanthropist Edgar Bronfman, Sr.
Bronfman is one of seven children, one of five from Ann (Loeb) and Edgar Miles Bronfman. His mother was the daughter of John Langeloth Loeb Sr. (a Wall Street investment banker whose company was a predecessor of Shearson Lehman/American Express) and Frances Lehman (a member of the Lehman family that founded the Lehman Brothers banking firm). They divorced in 1973.
Bronfman attended Cardigan Mountain School and graduated from Williams College in 1981. After working at Goldman Sachs he attended Harvard Business School where he graduated in 1985. Bronfman began his career at Goldman Sachs and the Cadillac Fairview Corporation.
As one of the largest American Jewish investors in the Israeli economy, Bronfman is also the main shareholder in IKEA Israel, Israel Discount Bank and the Shufersal supermarket chain. He is also the chairman and CEO of BHB holdings, a family holding company. Previously, He was a managing director at ACI Holdings, a private equity firm based in New York.
Bronfman is the chairman of the international steering committee of Limmud FSU, a program focused on strengthening the Jewish identities of Russian-speaking Jews, and the chairman of the American Jewish Committee’s ACCESS, which trains Jewish professionals to shape public opinion and policy around the world. He is also the managing principal of the Treetops Foundation, a charity focused on Jewish philanthropy and is on the boards of 92nd Street Y and the Canadian Centre for Architecture.
Bronfman has been married four times. His first wife was Fiona Woods; they divorced in June 1997. They had three children: Gabriela Talia Bronfman, Eli Miles Bronfman, and Jeremy Samuel Bronfman. In December 1997, he married Lisa Belzberg, daughter of Canadian businessman Samuel Belzberg, with whom he has three children, Sasha Eliana Bronfman, Tess Emanuella Bronfman and Ezekiel Belzberg Bronfman. In 2005, he married Stacey Kaye which whom he had one child, Coby Benjamin Bronfman; they divorced in 2016. In April 2017, he remarried to Israeli Melanie Lavie with whom he had his eighth child, James Raphael Bronfman and his ninth child Stella Ann Bronfman. He currently resides in Manhattan. His son, Jeremy, is an advisor to the technology company Enigma Technologies. His son, Zeke, is the cofounder and CEO of Xed beverages.
- Linde, Steve (May 23, 2012). "Matthew Bronfman: Top US businessman in love with Israel". The Jerusalem Post. Retrieved August 15, 2015.
- "Ann L. Bronfman: Obituary". Legacy.com. The New York Times. April 10, 2011. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- "Team". ACI Capital. Retrieved August 15, 2015.
- Full text of "John L. Loeb Collection" retrieved October 28, 2015
- New York Times: "PUBLIC LIVES; Using Grit and Glitz to Bring Aid to Schools" by ELISABETH BUMILLER May 8, 1998 |"Ms. Belzberg was eight and a half months pregnant with their second child when she married him last December, after his divorce in June"
- Robert Kolker. "Tutoring Tycoons". New York. Retrieved July 22, 2013.
- Ruth Graham (April 6, 2005). "Celebrating 10 Years Of Aiding Public Schools – Profile: Lisa Belzberg". New York Sun. Retrieved August 15, 2013.
- Nathaniel Popper (April 15, 2005). "Another Bronfman Makes His Mark". The Jewish Daily Forward. Retrieved August 15, 2013.
- New York Daily News: "Divorced Seagram heir steps out with new girlfriend" By Emily Smith May 23, 2016
- Press Reader: "Bronfman Wedding" April 12, 2017
- Tsur, Shlomit (February 25, 2018). "Advertising tycoon Eyal Chomsky is leasing an apartment in the 17 Rothschild project to Bronfman who recently married Israeli Melanie Lavie". Globes.
- Bronfman E.L. Rothschild website: "Matthew Bronfman (Chairman) - Chairman & CEO, BHB Holdings LLC retrieved october 28, 2015