Matthew Holmes (Royal Marines officer)
|Born||29 June 1967|
|Years of service||1988 –|
|Commands held||42 Commando|
|Battles/wars||War in Afghanistan|
|Awards||Commander of the Order of the British Empire|
Distinguished Service Order
Holmes was commissioned into the Royal Marines in 1988. He became commanding officer of 42 Commando in April 2006, in which capacity he was deployed to Afghanistan and was appointed a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order for distinguished service there in July 2007. He went on to become Head of Future and Maritime in March 2013, Chief of Staff of the operational headquarters at Permanent Joint Headquarters in 2016, and Director of the Resolute Support Mission Ministerial Advisory Group in 2018. Holmes was appointed Commandant General Royal Marines, taking over from Major General Charlie Stickland.
- "Holmes, Maj. Gen. Matthew John, (born 29 June 1967), Deputy Advisor to Minister of Interior Affairs, Afghanistan, since 2018." WHO'S WHO & WHO WAS WHO. 1 Dec. 2018
- "Marines swoop into Taliban 'heart of darkness'". The Telegraph. 7 April 2007. Retrieved 2 April 2019.
- "No. 58396". The London Gazette (Supplement). 19 July 2007. p. 10411.
- "Ministry of Defence and Tri-Service Senior Appointments" (PDF). Retrieved 2 June 2019.
- "Royal Navy Directory 2017" (PDF). Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 2 June 2019.
- "Visit of UK Royal Marines Major-General Matt Holmes to the NATO Stability Policing Centre of Excellence". 11 April 2019.
- "Supersession of the Commandant General Royal Marines (CGRM)". theroyalmarinescharity.org.uk. Plymouth. 14 June 2019. Retrieved 19 June 2019.
- "No. 62666". The London Gazette (Supplement). 8 June 2019. p. B5.
| Commandant General Royal Marines