Conspicuous Gallantry Cross
|Conspicuous Gallantry Cross|
Obverse of the medal. Ribbon: 32 mm, white with blue edges and a red central stripe
|Awarded by Monarch of the United Kingdom|
|Country||United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland|
|Eligibility||British and allied forces|
|Awarded for||... an act or acts of conspicuous gallantry during active operations against the enemy.|
|Description||36mm max width; silver cross patée imposed on a wreath of laurel, with the Royal Crown in a circular panel in the centre. Suspended by a ring from a plain suspension bar|
|Total awarded||60 including one unit award|
|Order of Wear|
|Next (higher)||Member of the Order of the British Empire|
|Next (lower)||Royal Red Cross, First Class|
CGC ribbon bar
The Conspicuous Gallantry Cross (CGC) is a second level military decoration of the British Armed Forces. Created in 1993 and first awarded in 1995, it was instituted after a review of the British honours system to remove distinctions of rank in the awarding of gallantry decorations. The Victoria Cross is the only higher combat gallantry award presented by the United Kingdom.
The CGC was instituted in the aftermath of the 1993 review of the honours system. As part of the drive to remove distinctions of rank in awards for bravery, the CGC replaced both the Distinguished Conduct Medal (Army) and the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (Naval and Air) as second level awards to other ranks and ratings. The CGC also replaced the Distinguished Service Order (DSO), in its role as an award to officers for gallantry. The DSO was retained as an award for outstanding leadership. The CGC now serves as the second level award for gallantry for all ranks across the whole armed forces.
The CGC which may be awarded posthumously, is awarded "in recognition of an act or acts of conspicuous gallantry during active operations against the enemy". All ranks of the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, British Army, and Royal Air Force may be awarded the CGC in recognition of qualifying acts of gallantry. Bars are awarded to the CGC in recognition of the performance of further acts of gallantry meriting the award. When the ribbon bar alone is worn, a silver rosette on the ribbon indicates the award of a bar. Recipients are entitled to the postnominal letters CGC.
The medal is in the shape of a cross pattée in silver. Arranged behind the cross, visible between the arms is a laurel wreath. On the obverse of the medal, the circular medallion in the centre depicts St. Edward's crown. The reverse is plain which allows room for the engraving of the rank, name, and unit of its recipient. The award date is also engraved on the reverse of the medal. The medal is suspended by a white ribbon with two narrow dark blue stripes at the edge and one centre stripe in crimson.
To date, there have been about 60 awards of the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross, including three posthumous and one unit award. No second award bars have been awarded.
The following is a full list of recipients who have been Gazetted to date.
|Name||Rank||Service||Date award announced||Place|
|Mills, Wayne||Corporal||Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)||9 May 1995||Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|Humphreys, Peter||Colour Sergeant||Royal Welch Fusiliers||9 May 1996||Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|Baycroft, John David, MBE||Colour Sergeant||Parachute Regiment||6 April 2001||Sierra Leone (Operation Barras)|
|MacFarlane, Iain James McKechnie||Squadron Leader||Royal Air Force||6 April 2001||Sierra Leone (Operation Barras)|
|Day, Tony Kenneth||Corporal||Royal Marines||29 October 2002||Afghanistan|
|Merchant, Jeremy Mark||Captain||Royal Marines||29 October 2002||Afghanistan|
|Hearne, Karl Anthony||Corporal||Parachute Regiment||29 October 2002||Afghanistan|
|Sanders, Edward Lawrence||Private||Parachute Regiment||29 October 2002||Afghanistan|
|Thomas, Justin Royston||Marine||Royal Marines||31 October 2003||Iraq|
|Flynn, Michael John||Lance Corporal of Horse||Blues and Royals (Royal Horse Guards and 1st Dragoons)||31 October 2003||Iraq|
|Jardine, Shaun Garry||Corporal||King's Own Scottish Borderers||23 April 2004||Iraq|
|Robertson, Gordon||Sergeant||Parachute Regiment||23 April 2004||Iraq|
|Greensmith, Benjamin Paul||Corporal||Parachute Regiment||7 March 2008
(dated 7 September 2004)
|Broome, Christopher Mark||Sergeant||Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment (Queen's and Royal Hampshires)||18 March 2005||Iraq|
|Bryan, Terry||Sergeant||Royal Artillery||18 March 2005||Iraq|
|Thomson, Terence Alan||Corporal||Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment (Queen's and Royal Hampshires)||18 March 2005||Iraq|
|Tomlinson, Matthew Robert||Colour Sergeant||Royal Marines||24 March 2006||Iraq|
|Radford, Andrew||Lance Corporal of Horse||Life Guards||14 December 2006||Afghanistan|
|Collins, John||Corporal||Parachute Regiment||14 December 2006||Iraq|
|Harkess, James Royce||Colour Sergeant||Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment (29th/45th Foot)||14 December 2006||Iraq|
|Farmer, Hugo||Lieutenant||Parachute Regiment||14 December 2006||Afghanistan|
|Illingworth, Timothy||Acting Captain||Light Infantry||14 December 2006||Afghanistan|
|Unit award||Royal Irish Regiment/Ulster Defence Regiment||19 December 2006
(dated 6 October 2006)
|Thompson, John Thomas||Corporal||Royal Marines||19 July 2007||Afghanistan|
|Hollingsworth, Jonathan Stuart, QGM||Sergeant||Parachute Regiment||19 July 2007||Iraq (posthumous)|
|Campbell, Donald Peter||Acting Corporal||Royal Engineers||7 March 2008||Afghanistan|
|Cupples, Simon Timothy||Lieutenant||Mercian Regiment||7 March 2008||Afghanistan|
|Willmott, Paul Darren||Private||Mercian Regiment||7 March 2008||Afghanistan|
|Miller, Adam William||Corporal||Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers||7 March 2008||Iraq|
|Wadsworth, James Anthony||Staff Sergeant||Royal Logistic Corps||7 March 2008||Iraq|
|McClurg, Robert William Kerr||Corporal||Royal Irish Regiment (27th (Inniskilling), 83rd, 87th and Ulster Defence Regiment)||6 March 2009||Afghanistan|
|Stevens, Alwyn John||Acting Sergeant||Royal Irish Regiment (27th (Inniskilling), 83rd, 87th and Ulster Defence Regiment)||6 March 2009||Afghanistan|
|Toge, Jone Bruce||Lance Corporal||Royal Irish Regiment (27th (Inniskilling), 83rd, 87th and Ulster Defence Regiment)||6 March 2009||Afghanistan|
|Durber, Leonard John||Colour Sergeant||Parachute Regiment||6 March 2009||Iraq|
|Malone, Bradley||Acting Corporal||Royal Marines||11 September 2009||Afghanistan|
|Nethery, Steven||Marine||Royal Marines||11 September 2009||Afghanistan|
|Dennis, Alan Gordon||Sergeant||Mercian Regiment||19 March 2010||Afghanistan|
|Gadsby, Stephen William||Gunner||Royal Artillery||19 March 2010||Afghanistan|
|Giles, Marc Kevin||Sergeant||Mercian Regiment||19 March 2010||Afghanistan|
|Moncho, Jaime||Sergeant||The Rifles||19 March 2010||Afghanistan|
|Prout, Gary||Lance Bombardier||Royal Artillery||19 March 2010||Afghanistan|
|Smith, Kyle Patrick||Lance Corporal||Mercian Regiment||19 March 2010||Afghanistan|
|Turner, Robert||Sergeant||Royal Marines||24 September 2010||Afghanistan|
|Bourne-Taylor, Robin Edwin Geoffrey||Captain||Life Guards||24 September 2010||Afghanistan|
|Brownson, Lee||Corporal||The Rifles||24 September 2010||Afghanistan (posthumous)|
|Horn, Graham Stuart||Lance Corporal||Parachute Regiment||24 September 2010||Afghanistan|
|McKie, James Lee||Lance Corporal||The Rifles||24 September 2010||Afghanistan|
|Pun, Dip Prasad||Acting Sergeant||Royal Gurkha Rifles||25 March 2011||Afghanistan|
|Jackson, Mark Anthony||Marine||Royal Marines||25 March 2011||Afghanistan|
|Stephens, Seth Vincent Scott||Corporal||Royal Marines||25 March 2011||Afghanistan (posthumous)|
|Cutterham, Deacon||Sergeant||The Rifles||23 March 2012||Afghanistan|
|Wright-Hider, Simon||Corporal||Royal Marines||23 March 2012||Afghanistan|
|Couzens, Scott Allan||Staff Sergeant||Parachute Regiment||28 September 2012||Afghanistan|
||Corporal||Parachute Regiment||30 September
|Glancy, James Alexander||Captain||Royal Marines||22 March 2013||Afghanistan|
|Mason, Luke Timothy John||Lieutenant||Yorkshire Regiment (14th/15th, 19th and 33rd/76th Foot)||22 March 2013||Afghanistan|
|Davis, Owen Edward||Lieutenant||Royal Marines||4 October 2013||Afghanistan|
|Griffiths, Josh Edward Hayden||Corporal||Mercian Regiment||4 October 2013||Afghanistan|
|Steel, Gareth David||Private||Parachute Regiment||4 October 2013||Afghanistan|
|Stazicker, Anthony||Corporal||Royal Marines||21 March 2014||Afghanistan|
|Moloney, Simon George||Lance Corporal||Blues and Royals (Royal Horse Guards and 1st Dragoons)||21 March 2014||Afghanistan|
- "Military Honours and Awards". Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. Retrieved 10 October 2006.
- "JSP 761 Honours and Awards in the Armed Forces" (PDF). p. 12A-1. Retrieved 7 November 2014.
- "No. 56878". The London Gazette (Supplement). 17 March 2003. p. 3351.
- "Conspicuous Gallantry Cross". MOD Medal Office. Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 10 November 2011.
- Online Medals: Conspicuous Gallantry Cross, (Accessed 8 June 2018).
- "Honours & Gallantry Awards". mod.uk/. Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 10 November 2011.
- "No. 54028". The London Gazette (Supplement). 5 May 1995. p. 6612.
- "No. 54393". The London Gazette. 9 May 1996. p. 6547.
- "No. 57936". The London Gazette (Supplement). 24 March 2006. p. 4197.
- "No. 57751". The London Gazette (Supplement). 9 September 2005. p. 11648.
- "No. 57588". The London Gazette (Supplement). 18 March 2005. p. 3378.
- "No. 57100". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 October 2003. p. 4.
- "No. 57269". The London Gazette (Supplement). 23 April 2004. p. 5132.
- "No. 58633". The London Gazette (Supplement). 7 March 2008. p. 3619.
- "No. 57588". The London Gazette (Supplement). 18 March 2005. p. 3374.
- "No. 57936". The London Gazette (Supplement). 24 March 2006. p. 4195.
- "No. 58183". The London Gazette (Supplement). 15 December 2006. p. 17357.
- "No. 58183". The London Gazette (Supplement). 15 December 2006. p. 17359.
- It is the first and only time an individual gallantry award has been awarded to a military unit. Unlike the 1942 George Cross to Malta and the 1999 George Cross to the Royal Ulster Constabulary, the award to The Royal Irish Regiment was gazetted. See: "No. 58186". The London Gazette (Supplement). 19 December 2006. p. 17495.
- "No. 58396". The London Gazette (Supplement). 19 July 2007. p. 10411.
- "No. 58396". The London Gazette (Supplement). 19 July 2007. p. 10413.
- "No. 58633". The London Gazette (Supplement). 7 March 2008. p. 3613.
- "No. 58633". The London Gazette (Supplement). 7 March 2008. p. 3615.
- "No. 58999". The London Gazette (Supplement). 16 March 2009. p. 4082.
- "No. 58999". The London Gazette (Supplement). 16 March 2009. p. 4085.
- "No. 59211". The London Gazette. 13 October 2009. p. 17559.
- "No. 59182". The London Gazette (Supplement). 11 September 2009. p. 15640.
- "No. 59366". The London Gazette (Supplement). 19 March 2010. p. 4834.
- Spelling is correct: this form is used by The Rifles.
- "No. 59554". The London Gazette (Supplement). 24 September 2010. p. 18536.
- >"No. 59737". The London Gazette (Supplement). 25 March 2011. p. 5640.
- "No. 60095". The London Gazette (Supplement). 23 March 2012. p. 5848.
- "No. 60283". The London Gazette (Supplement). 28 September 2012. p. 18624.
- "No. 60456". The London Gazette (Supplement). 22 March 2013. p. 5738.
- "Operational Honours and Awards List: 4 October 2013 – News stories – GOV.UK".
- "No. 60813". The London Gazette (Supplement). 21 March 2014. p. 5836.
- Mackay, J and Mussell, J (eds) – Medal Yearbook – 2007, (2006), Token Publishing, Honiton, Devon